Thursday, January 28, 2010

La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'Or (Box Date 1997)

Recently I was watching conference championship games with my dearest friend. It had been a day of food, cigars and football and I was disappointed that it was drawing to a close. As I finished what I thought was my last cigar of the day, my friend said the words that all Brothers of the Leaf long to hear, "I have something special for us to close with". I indicated that I was smoked out, and he relented saying that he would smoke something else and we could smoke the special selection another time. My curiosity piqued I asked what he had in store and he indicated that it was a 1997 La Gloria Cubana. Having never smoked a La Gloria before, and after asking myself what kind of cigar guy I thought I was after saying I was smoked out I decided without further hesitation to give it a go. I mean, after all, who am I to turn down a cigar proffered in the finest spirit of the cigar brotherhood?

The cigar was a thing of beauty. The wrapper was a light, yellowish/brown presentation. There were prominent veins, but it only added to the appeal of the panatela sized smoke. The veins made the cigar look older than I knew it to be, it was showing it's veins like long sutured and healed scars from bygone medical treatments. It does not sound appealing, but I know that cigars that show this character are well aged and well cared for. The construction was delicate, but solid. The panatela size is something to behold, long and pencil thin, yet somehow majestic. An inspection of the cigar revealed that it was firm, but unduly so. I reluctantly ended the visual experience and clipped the head. I inhaled the pre light aroma and savored it ever so cautiously, wanting to imprint each impression in my mind. There were notes of light tobacco, sweet grass and light spice. I then took a test draw with the timidity of a curious child and was rewarded with a preview of molasses and sweet grass, coupled with light spice and tobacco notes that were singularly unique.

I toasted the foot already knowing what was in store for me. The cigar began with a profile of sweet, grassy notes and a nice light tobacco flavor that could only be characterised as crisp or fresh. At the back of the palate and through the nose I detected notes of bread and more light tobacco flavors. The opening subtlety of this smoke is astonishing to me. It is a mix flavors that I have never experienced before. It is well documented that grassy flavors are usually repugnant to me, but in this instance I was taken to fields of freshly cut grass and the smells of clover on a warm Midwestern day. In essence it was a walk through my childhood, and it was intense. The draw was even, if a bit tight, and it imparted flavors perfectly across the palate. The burn was also sharp and showed a nice shoulder, as a well aged cigar should.

The first third of the cigar continued to be a walk through my childhood days in the Midwestern fields that I used to play in with friends. The sweet grass notes intensify, but the light tobacco flavor is only complimented by the intensity. At the back of the palate the beautiful notes of bready flavors continues to move gracefully with the rest of the profile, like blades of grass on a windy day slowly lulling you into contemplative introspection. The draw maintains a high quality and the burn continues to burn with determination showing an excellent shoulder throughout.

The middle third of the cigar shows a profile shift, not an in your face shift, but a gentle shift like the movement of the wind on a lazy day. The sweet grassy flavors have transitioned into a melange of molasses and light, toasty tobacco notes. I am reminded of Christmas cookies that my mother used to make, they always had just the right amount of molasses in them and so does this smoke. At the back of the palate some notes of light wood show through and mingle in a pleasing way with the core of the profile. The draw continues to be impressive and the burn is showing me the level of care that has been taken with this cigar.

The final third shows yet another shift in the profile. Molasses notes give way to notes of sweet bread and toasty tobacco. This cigar is a challenge to the senses and it lulls me into a silent reverie of reflection and relaxation. The football fades into the background and the world becomes all about the cigar and the incredible gift that my friend has bestowed upon me. At the back of the palate more notes of light wood permeate the experience lending to complexity that is seldom seen in a cigar. The draw and burn are superior.

The finish is long and smooth showing notes of molasses, tobacco and light wood. The game ends long before the cigar, but I do not notice. My head is full of memories from days long past and I can only thank my friend for the experience. I will never smoke a cigar like this again....

Appearance- 94 one of the most interesting cigars I have seen
Taste- 98 a near perfect profile showing intense complexity and depth
Construction- 95 the initial draw was a bit tight, but the rest of the cigar performs beautifully
Strength- 96 a fine medium that compliments the profile
Overall- 96 a classic cigar that will forever be remembered

1 comment:

  1. Very nice summation. I believe after 13 years these cigars are at their peak. I have a few more; perhaps we shall smoke again!

    JK

    ReplyDelete