Tuesday, August 25, 2009

La Aurora 1495 Series Brazil Robusto

This cigar presents with a very dark wrapper the hue of rich coffee. There is some prominent veining and the cigar is firm. Physical inspection does not lead me to conclude that there will be any issues. The pre light aroma is of cedar and tobacco. The pre light draw is slightly bitter, but shows floral notes.

The cigar lights well, the draw is a bit tight, with flavors of earth and rich tobacco. There is an undertone of vegetation and some bitterness that detracts from the opening experience. The ash is a dirty white/gray and starts out a bit lopsided. The first third of this cigar stays much the same, except the bitterness intensifies slightly.

At just past the one third point I encounter a serious burn flaw and the cigar begins to canoe. There is also a serious tightening of the draw. Set on smoking through it I persevere for several minutes. The canoe grows for about an inch and I decide to touch it up with a little bit of flame. The cigar recovers well and resumes with flavors of rich tobacco and earth, there is still a note of bitterness at the back of the palate.

Again at the half way point another canoe begins to develop. As is my wont I try to smoke through this annoyance. Yet again the cigar fails to even out and I must go back to the lighter for a third time, two times too many for me. The cigar continues to hold a core of tobacco and earth, but the bitterness has turned to a very disappointing sourness at the back of the palate.

Just before the end of the cigar, another canoe develops. I give up and let it go without further struggle.

The finish was short with sour notes.

Appearance- 80 veining and rough looking construction hurt the score
Taste- 77 not complex and the smoke lacks depth
Construction- 70 no choice but the worst possible score here
Strength- 80 an unremarkable smoke
Overall- 76.75 I expected much, much more

No comments:

Post a Comment