Monday, March 7, 2011

Jose Carlos Habano Toro (6x52)

This cigar both continues and ends my boutique cigar journey. Obviously it has been some time since I last wrote a review, that is because I enjoyed nearly a month of smoking all my favorites (all cigars that I have reviewed before). I am sad that my old home period has drawn to a close, but the need to review has overcome me.

This particular offering is about as appealing to look at as some of the people on the People of Wal-Mart website, but knowing that you can't judge a book by it's cover I will move on with this evaluation. The wrapper is dry feeling and mottled, almost camouflage in nature, and I recall that this cigar has several years of age on it which leads me into some thoughts about liver spots on old people wandering the aisles of the aforementioned Wal-Mart. The construction appears to be acceptable, but there are some loose spots that have me concerned about burn and heat. The pre light aroma is light and airy but has some nutty essence. The pre light draw is very loose, but shows some hints of earth and spice.

The cigar opens with a profile that is mundane. There are some notes of roasted nuts and pepper, but they are short and lacking in depth. At the back of the palate the flavor can only be characterized as dusty and dry. The draw is very loose and I can feel heat in the smoke already, I decide to slow it down to see if I can keep it cool. The burn is wonky, but I don't see any immediate need to touch it up.

The first half of the cigar begins the descent into cigar hell. The profile becomes bitter and foul. There are some hints of fetid vegetation and sour earth, this is a profile that is horrid at this point and I contemplate putting it down. At the back of the palate there is something that is threatening to trip my gag reflex that I can only equate to a flavor like bile. The draw is still too loose and the burn is lopsided.

The final half of the cigar is amongst the worst I have ever experienced and I discard it with a third left. The flavors were putrid and I will not waste time discussing them here. The draw was too loose throughout and created too much heat. The burn was subpar throughout.

I am happy that my tour of boutiques has come to an end.

Appearance- 75 not much visually
Taste- 70 the lowest possible score for one of the worst cigars I have ever smoked
Construction- 70 again the lowest possible
Strength- 75 nothing here either
Overall- 71.75 a real dog rocket

1 comment:

  1. Jose Carlos Habano Toro is a very exclusive cigarto me and it begins with an exceptionally unusual and palatable tobacco leaf as the wrapper.

    http://lacasadelhabano-brussels.be/en/

    ReplyDelete