Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Gran Habano Gran Reserva Gran Robusto (6x54)

Another smoke from the oft overlooked singles trays in my humidor. This cigar has been banging around for a month or two and I am pretty sure it was one of the offerings from The Great Smoke in West Palm about six weeks ago. I have not smoked much that was obtained from that event, and I am hoping that they have settled in nicely after much transportation six weeks ago.

The cigar appears to be shorter than six inches and when I measure it I find that it is a least an 1/8th of an inch short, no biggie but I am a stickler. The ring gauge also appears to be larger than 54 and I measure it and find to be between 54 and 56, so I will call it a 55. The wrapper is dry looking but it is leathery and supple when rolled through the fingers. There are some very prominent veins and the band work is very plain and not very interesting. The cigar appears to be loosely constructed and I am concerned about smoking performance. The pre light aroma is of cinnamon and light coffee. The pre light draw is floral and has some loamy, forest floor qualities.

The cigar opens with a profile that is neither complex or deep, but it does show some satisfying flavors around the edges. There are some notes of coffee and light earth, but there are some bitter ideas here as well and they detract from the overall experience early. At the back of the palate there are some wood notes trying to come out, but there are some sour notes in the presentation that hinders their arrival. The draw is loose, but not too loose at this point, and I decided I will monitor this closely. The burn is off slightly, but I don't have any urge to touch up yet.

The first third of the cigar remains fairly pedestrian. The flavors continue to be of coffee and earth, but there are some grassy concepts presenting themselves as well. At the back of the palate the sour notes have given way to some tannins, but there are still some nice presentations of cedar here. The draw conitnues to be too loose for me at this point, but I am pushing onward while pacing myself, so as not to cause heat. The burn has evened somewhat, but is still slightly akimbo.

The middle third of this cigar is where the rubber should meet the road, unfortunately the rubber is burning. The profile is nearly vomitous at this point, showing some very bitter aspirin notes while cranking up the loamy presentations that were picked up early in the smoke. At the back of the palate the pleasing wood qualities have given way to harsh and acrid presentations of char and ash. The draw is booming out huge qualities of putrid smoke at this point and I am worried that I may have to let this go soon.

The final third of the smoke is one of the most surprising thing I have ever experienced as a cigar smoker. The profile blossoms into an array of depth and complexity that one could only dream of. There are notes of vanilla, coffee and light cream over a backdrop of cinnamon that makes for a breathtaking display of flavor and complexity. At the back of the palate there are robust cedar notes taking center stage and serving as an excellent complement for the rest of the smoke. I can only sit and wish the entire cigar was like this. The draw stays loose throughout and the burn never causes any real issues.

The finish was a dream showing cinnamon and vanilla notes for several minutes after completion.

Appearance- 85 a very average looking smoke
Taste- 85 difficult to score so I go with just average. First third 85, Second third 70, Third third, 90
Construction- 87 the draw was very loose, but overall was acceptable
Strength- 86 a very middling medium
Overall- 85.75 slightly above average, but it could have been so much more

No comments:

Post a Comment