Monday, February 14, 2011

Don Gonzalez Signature Selection Torpedo (5.75x54)

Most of you already know that I am no fan of the torpedo, it is just a size that does nothing for me. This cigar continues to my boutique journey of late, a journey that I am considering nixing in favor of some smokeable cigars. This particular smoke was given to me by a friend after he picked some up in Dallas over Super Bowl weekend. I admit that I had never heard of this smoke, so I did some research and found that it is a very boutique offering that has some insertion into the discount cigar houses.

The cigar itself is quite a densely packed log. The wrapper is dry and shows some areas that are rough and bumpy, like chicken skin (the chicken reference at this point becomes very apropos later in the smoke). The construction is firm and I am concerned about potential draw and burn problems. The pre light aroma is wickedly full of harsh and sour wood notes. The pre light draw is also sour, but imparts some light spice onto the palate.

The cigar opens with a profile that is mostly non-descript. There are some light spice notes and some ideas of dark wood and earth in the foreground, but they are not particularly interesting, deep or complex. At the back of the palate there is some hint of a wood flavor, but there is an odd metallic taste here that is very off putting. The draw is too tight for me at this point and I am considering cutting off the torpedo part and making my own parejo. The burn is ok, but a touch slow on one side and I fear that a runner may be forthcoming.

The first half of the cigar really does nothing for me. The profile is weak and lacking in depth, complexity and flavor. There is a very pedestrian presentation of grassy flavors with some wood and earth mixed in, but the overall impression is poor. At the back of the palate the metallic taste has transitioned into a mouthful of pennies, or at least that I what it tastes like to me. The draw is still suffering and the burn has gone full run, which requires me to make some touch ups.

The final half of the cigar is a keening death bell and I can't wait for this disaster to come to a close. The profile becomes so dry and bitter that I now know what Elaine meant in Seinfeld while when smoking the Producto Del Peru she said it was like smoking a chicken bone. Chicken bone fits here as well, the cigar is just really poor. At the back of the palate there are some shows of earth and tobacco flavors, but the dryness from the front is ruining any possibility here. The draw and burn were below average throughout.

Another real rocket my friends...Stay away from this one, far....far....away...

Appearance- 87 a somewhat attractive smoke
Taste- 72 some very poor qualities here that led to little redeeming value
Construction- 77 burn and draw problems equal a low score
Strength- 85 a middling middle
Overall- 78.25 bad, bad, bad, bad, bad....

No comments:

Post a Comment