Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Perdomo 2 Natural Churchill (6.875x50)

In continuing my run of smoking singles that have randomly accumulated in my humi, I arrive at this smoke. These we all the rage some years back and I used to smoke them fairly regularly This will be a bit of a walk down memory lane for in some respects, because this is a cigar I enjoyed when my palate and smoking dossier we not as complete as they are now. The cigar appears to be a bit mottled across the wrapper, and it seems a touch dry in some areas. The band work is simple, as it always has been, and lends little to the visual experience. There seems to be a void near the band and I am concerned that in the final moments of this smoke it could be an issue. The pre light aroma has some touches of roasted nuts and some hints of vegetation. The pre light draw shows some mulled spice notes, but lacks much else in this area.

The cigar opens with a profile that is profoundly full of notes of oatmeal, I have not ever experienced this particular profile in any cigar that I have smoked and I find it to be interesting and fulfilling. At the back of the palate there are some touches of light wood, but there is also some taste of wet vegetation in the offering as well. The draw is a touch tight for me, but I am not having any issues with it at this point. The burn is solid and produces a nice, heavy gray ash.

The first third of the smoke transitions from oatmeal flavors to something more earthy and wheaty. It is a transition that is not particularly welcome, but it is not the death knell either. At the back of the palate there are primarily tastes of wet vegetation at this point, and I am finding this particular attribute to be a severe detractor from the experience. The draw stays too tight for my liking to this point and I am sensing some heat here as well. The burn stays solid for this segment of the smoke.

The middle third of the smoke is really the beginning of the end for this experience. The core profile slides into a monstrous presentation of bitter wood with heavy and wet notes of grass and vegetation. At the back of the palate some spice is trying to get through, but it is overwhelmed by wet, vegetal notes. The draw has opened slightly and the heat detected earlier starts to dissipate. The burn continues to be solid up to this point.

The final third of the smoke is not anything to write home about either. There is some improvement in the profile, in that I don't feel like spewing anymore, but any betterment is minimal. The flavors are less bitter and grassy, but only nominally so. At the back of the palate there are still some fleeting hints of spice, but for the most part vegetal notes predominate. The draw is rally booming now, but I have also approached the void and that could explain the new ease with which the cigar draws. The burn is still solid and has been throughout.

The finish is a touch short and showed some notes of bitter wood. This cigar has left me wanting, and I wonder if they used to be better, or if my palate has just become more finicky.

Appearance- 85 a very average appearance
Taste- 82 some early excellence was let down by the rest of the smoke
Construction- 83 points off for the void and draw issues
Strength- 85 a very lackluster medium
Overall- 83.25 below average

No comments:

Post a Comment