Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Room 101 Robusto by Camacho

This is a new offering from the Eiroa's, I will preface this by saying that it is no secret amongst those that know me that I do not like Camacho cigars. This cigar presents well, it has a nice dark wrapper that appears to have some tooth. An inspection reveals that the cigar seems to be well made, and I detect no soft spots or other flaws. The pre light aroma has notes of anise and spice. The pre light draw shows signs of tobacco and spice.

The cigar begins with a sour note that is off putting, I can't discern any flavors for the first inch or so due to the sour notes. The burn is acceptable and the draw is above average. The cigar progresses in much the same fashion for the first inch, until I get past whatever the sour note was.

At the inch and a half mark the cigar really opens up. The profile shows notes of coffee, anise, spice and tobacco, it is an excellent mix of flavors. The burn has started to stray a bit and it is becoming lopsided. The draw has stayed consistent.

Until I had about three eighths of the cigar left I was enjoying the profile and the smoke, that is when things took a dark turn. I encountered a horrible canoe that nearly made the cigar unsmokeable, it was almost as if the filler on one side was just a bundle of stems. I try to fight through it, to no avail, and gently retouch the cigar by burning out the imperfection. The profile has also turned for the worse. The sour notes had returned before the canoe took place, and they were coupled with notes of paper and grass.

The finish was a bit short, there were muddled notes of grass and paper.

Appearance- 88 an attractive cigar that appears a bit dry
Taste- 83 this only gets this score because of the middle portion, if the rest of the cigar were that good a 90+ score would have been a certainty
Construction- 75 the canoe was one of the worst I have seen
Strength- 88 a nice medium/full presentation
Overall- 83.5 could have been much better

No comments:

Post a Comment