Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Ashton Aged Maduro No.15

This petit corona sized smoke presents with a dark maduro wrapper that has prominent veins and a firm feeling construction. The pre light aroma is full of coffee and tobacco notes. The pre light draw hints of pepper and coffee. The draw seems a bit tight in the pre light stage.

The cigar opens beautifully with notes of wood, coffee and earth. The burn is sharp and I am not having to labor with the tight draw at this point. Ample smoke is produced with each puff and I am lulled into the enjoyment of the opening salvo from this smoke.

At just past half way I am snapped out of my enjoyable reverie by a profile change. The cigar has taken on a medicinal quality. It is sour and metallic and the burn is becoming hot. The draw has lessened and become tighter. I believe I am near a flaw or a plug but I can't feel anything beneath the wrapper and I gently plumb the depths for signs of imperfection. I make the decision to smoke through it. There is little change, except that the cigar did cool back down. The medicinal and sour notes dominate the rest of the smoke.

The finish is short and bitter, I am disappointed everything started out so well.

Appearance- 85 veining hurt the score
Taste- 70 the first half was destroyed by the second half
Construction- 75 except for the tightening of the draw I could not find any flaws
Strength- 70 can't make a determination due to the horrible notes in the profile
Overall- 75 very disappointing

No comments:

Post a Comment