Thursday, November 1, 2012

Tatuaje 2011 Halloween Edition-Wolfman (7.5x52)

Yesterday was Halloween and when I was a single guy Halloween meant scoping out the costumes of questionable repute amongst 19-45 year old females, the eye candy was my trick or treat.  I am now a married man, with a stepson, so my Halloween pursuits have changed a bit in recent years.  There is now trick or treating with a five year old and my wife (I never knew how exhausting this could be), and in general a lot of walking and dealing with other screaming children that seem to come from some underground haven of noise makers in our neighborhood, where did all these freaking kids come from!!!  In order to cope part of my new Halloween ritual is to smoke a cigar whilst the demon children run hither and yon whacked out on sugar and adrenaline.  This year I chose the 2011 Halloween offering from Tatuaje.  Every year Pete Johnson brings some fun into the Halloween time of the year with his Monster release, and while I bought some in 2011 I never got around to smoking any of them.

This cigar presents very simply.  The band is simple, and I would argue dull and too closely colored to the wrapper to even draw your eye there.  The foot is unfinished giving the cigar a shaggy look and feel, appropriate when calling a cigar the Wolfman.  The bunch is not dense and feels a little too spongy for me so I am worried about the loose draw possibilities that this attribute can summon.  There is box press on this smoke, and as everyone knows, I am no fan of the box press.  The second strike is that this cigar is a torpedo, again I am not a huge fan.  The pre light aroma was of tobacco and muted cinnamon.  The pre light draw was earthy and showed some wood flavors.

The cigar opens with a profile that is neither deep or complex, but there are some nice flavors present.  The core flavors consist of nice black pepper notes with some light tastes of wood, but there aside from this there is not a whole lot here.  I am yearning for some depth or complexity with these flavors or a complementary essence, but there just isn't one.  The back of the palate and the nose show some nice earthy notes, but again they are not particularly deep or interesting to me.  The draw is very loose early and it has me concerned about heat later in the smoke.  The burn is tough in the first half inch or so, but once the unfinished foot is gone it evens out nicely.

The first half of the cigar shows no real development, which I find disappointing.  The core profile continues to show pepper and wood flavors, but they just lay there like a corpse without any real punch.  The back of the palate continues to show some earthy tones and maybe some burnt coffee flavors, but there is no real action here either.  This total lack of anything resembling progress has me really disappointed by this point in the smoke.  The draw has settled down into something less loose, but is still too loose for my liking.  When confronted with a choice I will always take the firmer draw over the looser one.  The burn is solid to this point.

The final half of the cigar really just continues to plod along mundanely.  The core flavors are still slogging along unenthusiastically showing pepper and wood, blaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.  The back of the palate continues to show earthy flavors with some burnt coffee offerings, blaaaaaaaaahhhhh.  There is never an iota of development in this cigar at any point, unless you count developing an ash as a development.  The draw is fine until the end, but is still just too loose for me.  The burn develops a run in the final third and I had to correct it before it continued on like fleeing villagers in the face of extreme horror.

The finish may have been the best part of the cigar as a nice pepper flavor lingered on.

Appearance- 85 pretty average
Taste- 82 just nothing worth noting here
Construction- 84 too many issues to give any higher a mark
Strength- 85 a medium offering
Overall- 83.75 just too full of nothing exciting

No comments:

Post a Comment