Friday, November 30, 2012

D'Crossier Golden Blend Double Corona (7.5x49)

Every once in awhile I put myself in the capable hands of a brick and mortar owner and allow them to select a cigar for me.  I have a couple of haunts where they just don't steer me wrong and always have a recommendation that I end up enjoying.  This cigar was part of one of those scenarios.  I was pawing around a Tampa B&M and found myself a couple of smokes short of the special discount amount.  It was no time for panic so I calmed my heart rate and breathing and sought out my friend.  He, of course, had several selections in mind and I quickly and graciously accepted his offers and bought everything he directed me to.  He had never given me bum advice before so I, of course, believed that this time would be no different.

The cigar is beautiful to look at, it has a wonderfully golden brown wrapper that has very few veins and is draped seductively over the bunch.  The band work is elegant, but it is simple without complex artwork or other adornments.  An inspection shows a well made cigar and I can't find a single issue with the smoke as I give it the eyeball.  The pre light aroma is of wood and spice.  The pre light draw is slightly bitter, but has some cedar notes.

The cigar opens with a profile that is straight forward, but not complex or deep.  The core flavors show some light cedar, light cinnamon and some wispy impressions of bitter grass.  My over arching thought in the opening moments is that this will be a mild cigar without much flavor, a Montecristo or RYJ if you will.  The nose and back of the palate don't do anything to change my ideas as there are muted notes of light wood, dry paper and some floral strangeness.  The draw is very nice, not too tight or loose and it delivers nice amounts of smoke with very little effort.  The burn is a touch slow, but it is developing and showing a nice ash.

The first half of the cigar really is not very good.  The core profile takes on a bitter tone here which over takes some cedar and cinnamon flavors that might have been acceptable.  The back of the palate takes on a dry and dusty tone with some odd floral notes lingering in the background.  Overall the profile is just not very good to this point.  The draw continues to perform very well.  The burn is still moving along nicely.

The final half of the cigar transforms into a nice surprise.  The core profile shows some very nice cinnamon and coffee notes with some creamy notes as well.  The back of the palate shows a nice sweetness, something akin to rock candy, but also has a nice note of cedar.  It is all a little bit too late to save the smoke, but it makes for a nice ending impression.  The burn and draw are solid to the end.

The finish was smooth and lingered with some nice sweet candy notes.

Appearance- 88 a nice looking smoke
Taste- 85 nice late, but poor in the first half
Construction- 92 performed very nicely, burn was touch slow
Strength- 87 a nice mild, nothing more
Overall- 88.25 a solid smoke with a poor first half profile

No comments:

Post a Comment