Monday, November 19, 2012

L'Atelier Lat54 (5.675x54)

A recent review that I wrote caused quite a stir amongst some and criticisms came my way rapidly and with intensity.  A couple of quick words are necessary, not to deflect criticism I can handle that, but to solidify what this blog is all about.

I started this endeavor over two years ago to give readers a blog that did something that other blogs don't do, tell the truth about cigars that we smoke.  I have read countless blogs out there and if you have read all the ones that I have you will quickly reach the conclusion that every cigar made is worthy of heaping praise and that each is a candidate for cigar of the year.  This approach does not hold water for me because after having smoked for twenty four years I know that there two simple truths in the cigar world.  A cigar is better than no cigar at all is the first.  The second, and most important, there are cigars that are bad and we as consumers get exposed to them all the time.  Why should we be ashamed to say when a cigar is poor?  The short answer is we shouldn't.

I acknowledge that each cigar experience is subjective, you may like something I hate and vice versa, but I believe we have a duty to have an honest conversation about likes and dislikes in an open forum and I will not apologize for using this blog as an outlet to do just that.  To suggest that I have an axe to grind, or some sort of agenda is just absurd.  My only goal is to speak the truth about every cigar that I smoke and let consumers know that there is someone out here that does not like, or likes, something.  It is only fair when you ask a consumer to part with hard earned bones, as I do for every cigar I smoke, that they get a real view from real smokers about what is going on out there.  They can then smoke and decide for themselves, it is one of the joys of cigar smoking after all.

Enough about what this blog is, let's get down to this cigar.  L'Atelier is a new Pete Johnson production and I recently reviewed the Tramp Stamp by this same company.  Pepin Garcia makes these cigars for Pete, but I believe Pete and his new cohorts in L'Atelier did the blending.  It is no secret that I have hated most of Pete's blends over the last two years so in my mind this cigar is like another shot at redemption.  The fall from grace in my mind has been shocking.  From huge winners like Tatuaje Red and Brown, La Riqueza and El Triunfador to dogs like Avion and Casita Criollo the slide has been noticeable in my world.

This cigar presents nicely.  The wrapper is a wonderful light brown shade and it is draped on the cigar like a satiny blanket of tobacco goodness.  There are very few veins here and the construction appears to be excellent.  I'm not crazy about the pigtail cap, I feel like this has been played out over the last few years, but it is not really bothering me.  The band work is simple and elegant, and actually gives the cigar a very high end feel without being flashy.  The pre light aroma is full of vanilla sweetness with some floral notes of honey in the mix.  The pre light draw is a touch dusty, but shows wonderful notes of honey and light cream.

The cigar opens subtly, but with a profile that has miles of flavor and depth.  The core flavors are showing delicate sweet notes of honey and vanilla, but there is a fantastic light wood flavor holding the early notes all together.  At the back of the palate and through the nose there is some clover essence that bolsters the honey ideas from the front of the smoke and there is dry grass note that is not sharp, but light and sweet.  I usually reject grassy flavors out of hand, but this one does not bother me for some reason and almost lends a note of realism to the profile.  The draw is a real dream, no tension and plenty of smoke without any effort.  The burn is very solid and a nice ash is developing.

The first half of the cigar continues to impress me.  Some of the subtlety is gone as the flavors really kick up. The core profile morphs into a more robust presentation of wood, honey and some white pepper that balances out the sweetness that I was experiencing early on.  These developments are welcome because I feel the sweetness could have become overt and might have subtracted from the experience overall.  The back of the palate is still showing some dry grass, but the sweetness of it is still there and it is almost becoming wheaty as the cigar moves on which leaves a bready aftertaste while smoking.  The draw continues to be superior, delivering smoke without effort but not creating any heat.  The burn is still solid as well.

The final half of the cigar really picks up steam and becomes a more full offering.  The profile sharpens with some nice blasts of pepper and cedar, but there is still some honey flavor here that becomes more profound against the pepper flavors.  The back of the palate shows some nice development as well, the wheat flavors are really coming on strong and there is some more pepper showing up here as well.  This profile really is a lesson in what a cigar is supposed to be, early subtlety followed by increasing strength throughout culminating in a profile that is fulfilling and pleasing.  The draw is still phenomenal and the burn was solid right until the end.

The finish was glorious, showing nice honey and wheat flavors for many moments.

Appearance- 91 a nice looking smoke
Taste- 92 wonderful profile here that just kept on giving
Construction- 100 an absolute dream
Strength- 92 an excellent medium trending to full
Overall- 94.5 nearly classic and a redemption for Pete Johnson in my mind

No comments:

Post a Comment