Thursday, July 7, 2011

Rocky Patel Renaissance Sumatra Toro (6X52)

It is no secret that I have a black heart towards Rocky offerings, when they ruined the original Olde World Reserve with some crappy re blend I left the fold and have never been back.  Then along comes a friend with a respected palate and some solid reviewing chops and recommends this smoke.  To top it all off she gave me one and asked me to smoke it.  Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I accepted it and sat in my humi for a long time just never getting around to smoking it.  Well it is now ash and my thoughts follow.

The cigar presents well with a nice solid wrapper visual that is unmarred by veins or flaws.  The band is somewhat bland, but who smokes the band anyway (as a side note I have seen some drunks, they will remain nameless, smoke the band as well, but that is a story for another time)? Construction seems to be ok and I can't detect any areas of immediate concern.  The pre light aroma has all the pungent attributes of a hot barnyard.  The pre light draw is woody, but shows some hints of pepper and spice.

The cigar opens with a profile that is middling to me.  There are some nice dark wood flavors and a hint of raisins, but overall there is not real complexity or depth here.  The back of the palate is showing some rich tobacco notes, but I find myself wanting more from the get go.  The burn is wonky from the start, but I am resisting an immediate touch up.  The draw is nice and fluid and delivers plenty of smoke.

The first half of the cigar is a study in duality.  There are moments when this cigar wows me, these are when there are deep and rich flavors of wood, earth, raisin and spice.  Then there are moments that are flat and lacking, these are when there are papery flavors with some bitter soap like tastes.  Thankfully the wow moments are more numerous, but I am sad when pondering what this cigar could be with wow factor type consistency.  The burn levels out some, but is still lopsided.  The draw continues to be excellent.

The final half of the cigar settles down nicely.  The profile morphs into a nice presentation of wood, cocoa and spice flavors that are pleasing.  My only complaint would be that I would like some more power, but that is me being nit picky I guess.  At the back of the palate there is a satisfying earthiness that is melding the whole experience together.  There is one touch up required as the burn canoes in the last third so there will be some deductions for that, but the draw stays solid throughout.

The finish was long and earthy.  All in all this was a nice smoke.  Would it make me reconsider my Rocky position?  Probably not, but I might smoke one of these on rare occasion.

Appearance- 87 a nice looking smoke, but nothing over the top
Taste- 88 a nice experience toward the end, some deductions for issues in the first half\
Construction- 86 all burn related
Strength- 87 I would have liked more than the medium presented here
Overall- 87 a solid smoke that could have rated much higher with some consistency

No comments:

Post a Comment