Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Ernesto Perez Carrillo Maduro

I can't find anything out about this cigar, but I will tell you what I know, it will be released at IPCPR next week.  I came into possession of one when a close friend of mine gifted it to me after he obtained one from the Carrillo Rep at an event.  This is so hush hush that I could not find size or blend information when I ran it through the Googleplex.

The cigar presents with the standard EPC Black, Red and Gold band.  The wrapper is toothy and very dark with very little veining.  The cigar is large with a 50+ ring gauge to be sure, an inspection realizes no issues anywhere and I am thinking this could be something special in spite of the large ring gauge.  The pre light aroma smacks of coffee and dark fruit.  The pre light draw shows some cocoa and dark fruit as well.

The cigar opens with a profile that is astounding.  There are notes of dark fruit, raisin, chocolate and hazelnut present and they blend together in an excellent array of flavor.  At the back of the palate there is an earthiness that I have never experience outside of a Padron product and it shocks me because in my mind Padron has always had the corner on this area of flavor.  The draw is fluid and easy whilst delivering serious amounts of smoke.  The burn is solid and a nice, crisp white ash is forming.

The first half of the cigar continues to be impressive, all though there has been some mellowing in the flavor area.  The profile maintains a beautiful array of dark fruit and chocolate and I could swear I am tasting raspberry in the smoke at this point.  At the back of the palate satisfying earthy tones continue coat the palate.  The draw continues to be nearly perfect and I am becoming more surprised by this as it progresses, I am used to big cigars causing issues in the draw.  The burn is still very solid.

The final half of the cigar ramps back up and shows miles and miles of complexity and depth.  The profile moves into a more provocative presentation of cocoa, black pepper and coffee.  At the back of the palate the earthy tones have been joined by some dark cherry flavors that are phenomenal.  The draw and burn stay solid throughout the smoke.

The finish was long and smooth and full of earthy flavors that smack the palate for several minutes.

This was a fantastic cigar, I can only hope that the release will be as spectacular.

Appearance- 91 a very nice looking cigar
Taste- 98 one of the finest profiles I have ever experienced
Construction- 100 not a single issue in the smoke, and I was outside on a hot day
Strength- 93 a wonderful medium/full that I thought could stand some more punch
Overall- 96.75 an instant classic, I only wish I had more at this time.  I anxiously await the release.

No comments:

Post a Comment