Sunday, July 31, 2011

Perdomo Exhibicion Sungrown Robusto (5x50)

Cigars from the IPCPR are starting to show themselves and I recently ran into Billy Perdomo and he handed me some of these new cigars in maduro and sungrown wraps.  Billy knows what I like and he had a knowing smile on his face as he slipped me these bad boys and he slyly said, "Let me know what you think".

The cigar is beautifully done, but in a simplistic old-fashioned way.  The band work is rustic and workaday and the cigar is well constructed.  The wrapper is toothy, but shows some nice oils and very little veining.  The cap is well done and the overall impression of the cigar is something I like, not too flashy and just sexy enough to get my attention.  The pre light aroma smacks of wood and sweet fruit.  The pre light draw is a little peppery but not overwhelmingly so.

The cigar opens with a satisfying profile of toasted marshmallow and light spice.  I am stunned by the depth of these flavors so early in the smoke as Perdomo often takes some time to warm up in it's other blends.  At the back of the palate there are some excellent notes of dark wood and roasted nuts that complement the front of the experience seamlessly.  The draw has some tension and I would like it to be a touch looser, but I don't think it will cause any performance issues.  The burn is sharp and nice white ash is forming and holding well.

The first half of the cigar continues to progress with depth and complexity.  The toasted marshmallow notes continue to show through, but there has been a transition into more dark wood notes in the front of the palate that adds some nice depth.  At the back of the palate a nice earthy presentation takes center stage and continues to complement the cigar beautifully.  The draw opens slightly and becomes near perfect for me.  The burn continues to be excellent and the ash holds for 2.5 inches before I lightly knock it off.

The final half of the smoke thins a bit, but there are still some nice core flavors.  The main body shows some nice dark wood and fruit notes, but the depth is not what it was earlier in the smoke.  The back of the palate continues along earthy lines but there is some loamy mustiness that creeps into the effort here as well, not a death knell by any means, but you have to be accepting of this change.  The draw continues to be nearly perfect at this point and the burn continues to show well.

The finish is long and satisfying showing dark wood and earth long after I set it down.  All in all another Perdomo winner in my book and as an added bonus I am hearing the price point will be economical.

Appearance- 91 a nice, simple, old-fashioned approach
Taste- 90 a very nice cigar that would have been better if the flavor had not waned in the back half
Construction- 91 some early tightness in the draw, but overall well above average
Strength- 92 a very nice medium
Overall- 90.75 a very nice smoking experience

No comments:

Post a Comment