Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mi Barrio El Forro (7x48)

This is a cigar that made my Top 10 of 2009 and I recently laid in a couple of boxes to examine the aging potential. However, the prospect of having some around was too much for me. I decided to smoke one and review it so as to archive the experience for comparison as I age the boxes...that is my story and I am sticking to it.

The cigar presents with a leathery wrapper that has few veins and is flawlessly applied. An examination reveals no areas of concern and I am certain the cigar will perform well. The pre light aroma is of heavy spice and leather. The pre light draw is tight and that concerns me performance wise, but there are some notes of leather and clove in the nuanced pre fire taste.

The cigar opens with a profile that is profoundly nuanced and balanced. There are some fabulous notes of dark wood, cinnamon, clove and spice in the opening moments, and I am reminded why this blend was in my Top 10 the year before. At the back of the palate there is a dusting of pepper and sweet graham cracker flavor that is very interesting. The burn is excellent, producing a thick white ash that hangs ponderously for several inches. The draw is too tight for me, but it is not causing me any issues to this point.

The first third of the cigar continues to impress. The core profile settles in with a fine presentation of cinnamon and dark wood, the occasional wisp of spice settles across the palate as well. At the back of the palate the sweet graham cracker flavor has taken center stage and serves as an excellent balancing agent to the rest of the smoke. The complexity, depth and nuance of this smoke is second to none in recent memory. The burn continues to perform exceptionally, but the draw continues to be a bit tight to this point.

The middle third of the cigar kicks it up a notch. The main profile shifts into a presentation of dark wood, leather and pepper and the strength quotient moves up a few levels to a more robust full. At the back of the palate there are still some hints of graham cracker sweetness, but a more raisin like flavor starts to show through and it is an exceptional counterpoint to the pepper in the foreground. The burn goes a touch wonky here, but levels out on its own without any assistance from my lighter. The draw continues to be tighter than I like, but there is no heat creeping into the smoke as of yet.

The final third of the cigar is a home run. The core profile shows leather and cinnamon tones with fleeting blasts of orange zest and pepper. At the back of the palate the graham cracker sweetness returns and there are some satisfying flavors of dark wood too. The burn is excellent to the end, but the draw stays tighter than I would like throughout the smoke.

The finish is long and shows graham cracker notes with hints of dark wood.

Appearance- 93 a very attractive cigar, more oils would have helped the impression
Taste- 99 an excellent taste performance, nearly perfect for me
Construction- 91 points reduced for draw issues and one burn problem
Strength- 96 a very nice medium start and full finish.
Overall- 94.75 without the construction issues, this would have been a classic

No comments:

Post a Comment