Tuesday, September 28, 2010

La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.4 (5.9x32) (Box Date 1997)

Recently I invited my closest friend over for a night of football and BBQ. Upon arrival he asked me where I was in my lineup, and when I told him that I had only had one earlier in the day, he said that he had something for me. Knowing him like I do, I knew that I was in for a rare treat, and as is his wont he did not disappoint. He handed me this little cigar and I recognized the front mark, but not the vitola. Not one for researching cigars before I smoke them , I usually do that after the fact, I got ready to fire it up right away.



The cigar itself is a strange thing to behold. Long and pencil thin, it looks very delicate and I was fearful that a rigorous inspection might lead to damage of the smoke. The wrapper had all the hallmarks of a well aged smoke. It was veined well and carried the soft dust of age that indicates proper storage and care. There is one small split in the wrapper and I am concerned in a smoke this size that it could be a problem. An inspection leads me to believe that the cigar may draw tightly, but I am used to that from thin Cuban vitolas. The pre light aroma is light and dusty, but has strong cedar notes. The pre light draw shows some sweet, nutty character.

The cigar opens with what I would like to call a WOW moment. I can't recall ever experiencing this type of opening, so subtle and yet so in your face at the same time that I can only call it an enigma. The core profile is of delicious vanilla and light cream, the nuance of the flavors is fantastic, but the depth is profound at the same time. There is an underlying note of light wood that is very interesting as well. At the back of the palate there are further notes of wood and sweet grass. The draw is tight, but I am not concerned at this point. The burn is excellent and a nice shoulder is present early on.

The first half proceeds in much the same way. The core profile is full of vanilla and cream notes and continues to please the palate in a way that is seldom experienced. At the back of the palate there are still excellent notes of wood and sweet grass and the consistency is second to none at this point in the smoke. The draw continues to be tight, but I am managing at this point. The burn loses a bit at the split in the wrapper, but I am able to slow and smoke my way through it.

The final half of the cigar is not quite as profound as the first, but is still excellent. The core profile is now showing hazelnut flavors that have a lingering sweetness that is interesting, but a bit flat. At the back of the palate there flavors become more grassy and lose some of the woody character from earlier in the experience. The draw has become exceedingly difficult and I am fighting to extract smoke in the final quarter. The burn leveled out without issue.

The finish was long and smacked of vanilla and hazelnut flavors.

Appearance- 89 a nice looking smoke
Taste- 94 an excellent profile that could have used more depth and complexity in the back half
Construction- 85 average at best with a burn issue and draw problems
Strength- 97 an excellent medium that complements the profile with exceptional results
Overall- 90.75 a very good experience that was hurt by construction

No comments:

Post a Comment