Friday, September 3, 2010

Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial Toro (6x54)

I can't recall anticipating a cigar, in recent years, as much as I anticipated this one. Recently I picked up a handful and smoked several, this review is of the last one I smoked, but I will point out that all five of them performed similarly and tasted the same.

The cigar itself is a bit thicker than I like, but the other vitolas at the B & M I went to did not strike my fancy either. It has a heavy, dark brown wrapper that has some prominent veins. An inspection of the smoke reveals some areas that I believe are too soft, but I will have to see what develops in the smoking process. The pre light aroma is an intoxicating blend of cedar and spice. The pre light draw shows some mineral heaviness that I hope is not a harbinger of things to come.

The cigar opens with a very in your face profile and I am a bit shocked by the initial strength of this cigar. There is no nuance or balance to a presentation that begins this way and I am getting clubbed in the head by rich tobacco, black pepper and mineral flavors. I can only hope that this cigar will settle down at some point. At the back of the palate there is some sweetness, almost like sugarcane, and it is helping to diffuse some of the up front power of the smoke. The draw is touch loose for me, but I am not upset by it at this point. The burn is excellent and a ponderous white ash is forming.

The first third of the cigar does indeed settle down. The main profile continues to show mostly tobacco and mineral notes, but the earlier sweetness has crept into the front of the smoke and is adding some nice roundness to the overall profile. At the back of the palate there is another presentation of a heavier mineral note and it threatens to turn the cigar into a real downer. The draw remains a touch loose and towards the end of the first half some heat comes into the smoke and forces me to slow my progress in order for the hear to dissipate. The burn is excellent and the ash holds for nearly three inches.

The final two thirds show little development. The core profile continues to be of tobacco, there are some small notes of coffee bean and dark wood, but they do not add anything significant to the experience. At the back of the palate the heavy mineral note is taking it's toll and turns metallic in the final third. This attribute really hurts the cigar in my opinion. The burn and draw stay as noted in the first third.

The finish is short and sharp showing mineral and metallic flavors.

Appearance- 88 an above average cigar that could use more attention to detail
Taste- 81 a sub par performance that lacks complexity and depth
Construction- 89 points off for loose draw, but performance was still above average
Strength- 80 a very odd full that taxes the palate
Overall- 84.75 another disappointment for me

No comments:

Post a Comment