Monday, March 8, 2010

Perdomo Habano Petit Corona Maduro

I am back from Nicaragua and a tour of the Perdomo factory and I thus begin the reviews of some of the cigars I smoked while on the tour. They are in no particular order, I am just working off of my notes from the trip. I smoked this new addition to the Habano line on the bus trip from Esteli back to Managua to catch my plane back to the states. I was slightly uncomfortable, the bus I was on was not the best in terms of leg room. However, I was relaxed and happy after three excellent days with 12 friends in the beautiful environs of Esteli.

The cigar is a dark, bold looking smoke, especially for a Petit Corona. The wrapper is heavy and toothy and shows little veining. A quick inspection shows that the cigar is firm, but not too firm. The pre light aroma shows some notes of nice earth and rich coffee. The pre light draw is full of rich tobacco and earth flavors.

The cigar begins with a core profile of earth and coffee, the flavor is deep and rich. I am shocked by the depth right off the bat with this cigar. At the back of the palate there are some nice notes of cocoa and light toasty coconut flavors. The complexity this early in the cigar is also somewhat shocking and unusual. The draw is excellent and the burn is razor sharp producing a crisp white ash.

The first half of the cigar progresses nicely with a core profile of earth and coffee flavors. At the back of the palate some cocoa and light earth notes are mingling nicely for some extra depth. The draw and the burn are both continuing to perform extremely well to this point.

The final half of this short cigar makes me wish it were a Churchill. The core profile shows notes of coffee, earth and light pepper. The back of the palate is coated with excellent notes of cocoa, light earth and dark woody flavors. The complexity and depth of this cigar are excellent and it is one of the finest examples of a PC that I have smoked in some time. The draw and burn were excellent throughout.

The finish was a bit sharp, but showed notes of earth and tobacco.

Appearance- 91 a nice looking little cigar
Taste- 94 just short of being a classic profile for me
Construction- 95 an excellent cigar that performed extremely well
Strength- 90 a nice medium full/offering that could have used more power
Overall- 93.25 one of the finest cigars of the year to this point

No comments:

Post a Comment