Sunday, March 28, 2010

Blind Tasting

This is a first for my blog, a blind tasting. At a friend's house last evening I was presented with the following proposal, he would give me a cigar blind and I would smoke it. At some point in the near future he will reveal the cigar in the comment section of this write up. I was happy to partake in this experiment and found the experience to be enjoyable.

The cigar was given to me and I began my evaluation. It presents in a size somewhat akin to a corona, but aside from that I can't make any other determinations about what it is. The wrapper is tawny and appears to be well aged, I am thinking Cuban at this point, but I am not sure. The construction appears to be acceptable, but there is some tension in the roll that further leads me to believe that it is Cuban. The pre light aroma is sweet and leathery. The pre light draw also shows some very sweet impressions and a floral essence that is interesting.

The cigar opens with a profile that is sweet and almost dusty. The smoke coats the palate and leaves a dusty feeling on the tongue. The sweet flavor is difficult to isolate at this point, but I am leaning toward a combination of grassy and floral notes. There are some light notes of wood and some bursts of pepper that are also interesting. At the back of the palate and through the nose there some further sweet impressions that are floral in nature. The draw is a bit tight, further leading me down the path that will lead ninety miles south of Miami. The burn is strong and shows a nice shoulder as it progresses.

The first half of the cigar continues to show significant depth and complexity. The core profile transitions into a spicier sweetness that has impressions of clove and cinnamon. There are still some peppery bursts that are adding to the mix. At the back of the palate the impression is distinctly of light wood that also has a sweetness to it that compliments and takes the spicy edge off the front of the profile. The draw continues to be tight, but not disappointingly so. The burn continues to be above average.

The second half of the smoke shows further development. The core profile begins to show notes of leather and more pepper, the sweetness has faded into the background but is still showing some presence in a more subdued tone of toasted coconut. At the back of the palate there are some hints of sweet grass and light wood. The profile has been a whirlwind of impressions in a small package. The draw is still tight and the burn deteriorates in the last quarter of the smoke, but does not cause any real issue.

The finish is smooth and floral.

I believe that this cigar was a Cuban H.Uppman, but I am just stabbing in the dark.

Appearance- 88 a nice looking smoke, but it was a bit ruddy
Taste- 93 a very interesting profile
Construction- 90 a nicely burning cigar with a bit of a tight draw
Strength- 92 a very pleasant medium
Overall- 91 a very nice smoke

1 comment:

  1. Matt, nice review. The subject stick was a 2002 Partagas Corona.

    ReplyDelete