Monday, March 22, 2010

Joya de Nicaragua Antano Lancero

I have only ever smoked one of these, in this size, before and I looked at my old journals in order to determine that it was about two years ago. My review then showed an above average cigar, but it was not an experience that was particularly memorable.

The cigar presents well with a dark wrapper that has some nice tooth. The cigar itself has a ruddy appearance and seems to be more like an extended cheroot than what is supposed to be a classic lancero size. The pre light aroma is of very rich and strong tobacco and earth. The pre light aroma is of sharp, heavy tobacco.

The cigar opens with a profile of deep, rich earth accompanied by some solid, rich tobacco notes. The depth of the flavors is intriguing and I quickly realize that this cigar is in your face and personal. At the back of the palate there are some nice touches of dark wood and some very strong nicotine numbs the mouth. The draw is nearly perfect for a cigar of this size, this is impressive because I almost always expect an issue in lanceros. The burn is slightly lopsided, but to this point not causing any issues.

In the first third or so, the cigar continues to pick up steam. The nicotine tingle across the palate is bold. The core profile shows notes of earth, tobacco and dark wood. At the back of the palate there are some notes of dark wood and rich, overdone coffee. The draw is still exceptional and there are clouds of thick, white smoke surrounding me. The burn has continued to canoe, and I determine that there is a small void in the cigar and move on.

The middle third settles down, but is still punching me in the face, more jabs now than uppercuts. The profile continues to show sharp, clean tobacco notes with some hints of earth. The back of the palate still maintains a strong nicotine presence, but there are still hints of dark wood. The draw continues to impress, but the burn is screaming for a retouch as it canoes out of control while I hope for an even out.

The final third closes me out for the day. My palate is exhausted and I will smoke no more, which on a Saturday is weird for me. The final salvo is of significant earth and tobacco flavors. At the back of the palate there are still notes of dark wood, but the strength of the tobacco flavors permeates the entire mouth. The draw is still excellent, but the void never evens out and I have to retouch in the last third.

The finish is eye popping and full. There are notes of earth and tobacco and some strong charred coffee notes.

Appearance- 85 a very average looking smoke
Taste- 88 some nice depth, but more complexity is needed
Construction- 87 burn issues hurt this score
Strength- 86 a very full experience, but strong for the sake of strong without complimenting the profile is not desirable
Overall- 86.75 an above average experience, but the lack of complexity hurts the score

No comments:

Post a Comment