Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Sam Leccia White 552 (5x52)

As I have said in previous reviews fanfare and hype about cigars is often misplaced, and when listened to by the average Joe, can cause mediocre cigars to become the stuff of legend.  I have experienced this many, many times in my days as a cigar smoker, 25 years and counting by the way (and I am only 38).  Some hot person in the industry has all the cache and attention and everything he makes is going to be gold right? Wrong! As with any industry, when someone tries to trade on their image, and glory gone by, the consumer can take the shaft as inferior products are used, things are rushed to market and the overall experience and the artistry of the pursuit are lost in the good ole dollar bill shuffle.  The cigar industry falls prey to this wanton disregard for heritage and the integrity of the product just like any other.

Along comes Sam Leccia, if you haven't met him you should, he is a really nice guy.  Sam has been hot in the industry for some time now and he has moved around a bit, but he landed on his feet and started another new and fresh cigar venture.  I have smoked several of these new offerings over the past couple of months and I am finally getting around to reviewing it here.

This smoke presents with a wrapper that is somewhat mottled in appearance and has a dry texture.  The wrapper is not dry, quite the contrary if you know what you are looking for, but the texture has tooth and seems dry.  The band work is a little shoddy, but it has a nice design and the eye catching white band is pleasant.  As I examine the cigar I can feel some loose spots in the bunch that have me concerned, but I don't believe that they will kill the cigar if I take my time.  The pre light aroma smacks of wood and spice.  The pre light draw shows some sharp wood and a sweeter spice note that I can't place at the moment.

The cigar opens with a profile that has tons of toasted wood notes, this smoky taste is not often found in many cigars that I smoke and I find it interesting.  There are also some less prominent ideas of spice and maybe some nutty qualities as well, but the toasted wood flavors dominate early on.  At the back of the palate there is a robust presentation of wheaty flavors that are interesting, but not particularly complementary to the front of the profile, something more weighty would be better here in my opinion.  The draw is very loose, but so far I don't notice any undue heat or have any concerns that I will.  The burn is very solid right from the get go.

The first half of the cigar settles into a fairly straight forward presentation of dark woods that have a smoked quality to them.  This one dimensional presentation is not what I usually look for in a cigar, but similar to the earthy presentation of a Padron I find myself being drawn into this profile aspect.  I think this will be a cigar I smoke when I want this particular flavor in my lineup, there is something to be said for a smoke that fills a niche.  The back of the palate and through the nose still show some wheaty flavors but there is also a sweetness here that has a hint of cinnamon to it.  While not complex or full of depth, the flavor is satisfying.  The draw is still too loose and there is some heat creeping in, I slowed down the rate of combustion with a purge and some slower smoking going forward.  The burn is still very solid to this point.

The final half of the cigar shows no development at all, the profile stays much the same as it has throughout.  This really is a cigar for a specific spot in a lineup, and only when you want this very smoky presentation.  The draw was too loose all the way to the end, but the burn was excellent all the way through.

This cigar is really a very interesting display of a niche cigar.  This profile, while not what I usually look for, was pleasant and could find a place in my lineup on a semi regular basis.

Appearance- 88 a nice looking smoke, somewhat rustic
Taste- 87 a good profile that fits a particular taste
Construction- 87 the draw was too loose, but the burn was excellent
Strength- 88 a nice medium smoke
Overall- 87.25 above average

No comments:

Post a Comment