Sunday, August 11, 2013

Tatuaje 10th Anniversary Bon Chasseur (5.375x52)

I can't believe that is has been ten years since Tatuaje first hit the scene.  My how far we have come in the boutique revolution since those early days when not a single smoker knew what a boutique was.  For crap's sake, boutiques didn't even know they were boutiques back then.  They were just small batch cigars that were hoping to catch on somewhere, anywhere they could find someone to give them a shot.  I remember sitting in shops back then, with plenty of Altadis, General and thank God Fuente and Padron to choose from.  Ohhh sure there were some other yawn worthy, and puke worthy, remnants of the boom still slopping around.  I mean who could forget Don Rafael and Barlovento right?  Anyone? Anyone? Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...  Anyway the list of those thankfully forgotten chicken bones could go on for days and days.  Luckily Pepin and Pete Johnson came along and set the stage for the boutique explosion, hell I was so desperate for new smokes at the time I actually bought a couple of boxes of Barlovento.  My day of grace came when I found Tatuaje Browns in an Ybor shop and the rest, as they say, is history...succulent smoky history.  My affair with Pete's brands has been hot and cold, but there are still many days you can find me with an old Tat Brown or Tat Red hanging from my lips, they are still just that good.

This cigar had a ton of buzz at IPCPR, almost as much as Camacho's new branding (you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig by the way) or Pepin's 10th Anniversary cigar (box coming for me, don't ask for any), so much buzz that getting hold of one was exceedingly difficult.  I even had to call in some chits, and I like my chits!  One of my contacts finally got one and I secreted it away and waited until a rare smoke Friday (follow these on my twitter page @srqcigarczar #raresmokefriday) to smoke it.  Well that Friday finally arrived and I was ripe with excitement.

The cigar presents well with some very simple band work, in sticking with the Tatuaje tradition, and a pigtail cap and unfinished foot.  It is rustic looking in that the wrapper has a ruddy appearance to it, but the application of the wrapper is excellent and I can't find any issues in the bunch or roll.  The pre light aroma smacks of pepper and heavy spice.  The pre light draw also shows heavy pepper notes.  I am settling in for a real powerful bomb of a smoke here.

The cigar opens with a completely unexpected profile.  The core notes are all roasted nuts, clove like spice and a very interesting sweetness that has some coffee flavor but is more like hazelnut.  This palate diversity does not necessarily work harmoniously because it so busy and scuttled, but there are some hints of greatness here.  The back of the palate and through the nose show a very woody base that has large quantities of dry balsa and some hints of sweet earth.  This is not a profile that I am used to from Pete's products and the change is hard to grasp.  The draw is very nice, all though it is a touch loose for me.  The burn was wonky at first, I assign this to the unfinished foot, but it evens out quickly.

The first half of the cigar continues to struggle to find a personality.  I was ready for a spicy bomb in the pre light sequence, but it is not what I am getting at all.  The core profile is still profoundly nutty and still heavily hazelnutesque, however there are moments of genius when some coffee flavors play wonderfully with these core notes.  There is still some spice here, transitioning into a more cinnamon and anise presentation, but these flavors are fleeting at best.  The back of the palate has transitioned into a more robust medium flavored wood presentation and there are still some nice hints of sweet earth coming in here as well.  The draw remains a touch too loose for me, but it is not causing any issues.  The burn is performing well.

The final half of this cigar really sets my world on fire.  The core profile becomes a delightful array of hazelnut, cinnamon and maple flavors that smack of a french toast finish.  I know what you're thinking, French Toast?  This guy has lost it!  All I can say is smoke it and see, maybe you'll find the same thing.  I hope you do, because it is finds like these in individual cigars that make the pursuit all worth it.  At the back of the palate there is a peppery note that gives the cigar some kick right when you need it most, this is coupled with some robust earthy tones that round out the experience in a very nice way.  The draw stays the same throughout and the burn performs admirably right to the end.

The finish smacked of maple flavors and light pepper long after the smoke and wistful thoughts about the origins of the boutique phenomenon dissipate.

All in all this smoke was not what I expected at all, and in the first half was at time disappointing.  However, it finished strong and I will smoke it again.

Appearance- 92 simple and rustic
Taste- 90 I am going to just eek this into the 90's because of the last half
Construction- 89 some loose draw and early burn issues hurt the score
Strength- 88 medium early, more robust late
Overall- 89.75 a very nice smoke


No comments:

Post a Comment