Thursday, January 17, 2013

Padilla Reserva Habano Toro (5.7x50)

Is there anything in the world that is worse than the flu?  This is a legitimate question as I have just recovered from having it and it nagged and lingered for ten days.  I posit that there is probably not anything worse, it is just a miserable experience for everyone involved.  The person that has it is useless.  The wife is frustrated.  The kids are anxious and wanting to play.  No one is happy.  Particularly me, since I can't smoke during my self imposed incubation period.

What does any of this have to do with a cigar you may ask?  Well it is two fold.  First, I couldn't really smoke so there were no reviews happening for the better part of two weeks.  I don't know how you all made it without my charming and witty verbal jousts to occupy your down time.  Second, I threw out the question because it sets up this review so well.

The cigar in question is a reincarnation of the old Padilla Habano (if you have not smoked one you really should, they are fantastic) so I was excited to smoke this cigar.  I have long been a devotee of several old Padilla blends, particularly those made by Pepin.  Even some of the post Pepin blends have been first rate so I was doubly interested to smoke this new offering to see what Padilla is doing now.  The smoke presents well, but it is a little bit too dry to the touch, this concerns me because dry cigars often smoke hot and bitter. The wrapper has some prominent veins, but I don't think they will cause any issues.  An examination of the cigar has me concerned about a loose bunch, but I will soldier on as I always do.  The pre light aroma was full of sharp wood notes with a touch of musty basement.  The pre light draw was shallow and had cedar and bitter earth tones.

The cigar opens with a profile that immediately answers my question from above.  Could there be anything worse than the flu?  The resounding answer is yes, smoking this cigar could be worse.  The core profile is bitter and and has some notes of crushed aspirin with some sour and tart wheat notes.  The back of the palate and the nose show some dry wood flavors with a cedar sharpness that is off putting and funky.  The draw is way too loose for me and I worry about heat later in the smoke.  The burn is solid from the start.

The first half of the cigar settles down some, but there is still nothing to write home about..  The core profile becomes a more mundane presentation of light wood and sour grain flavors with a dry aftertaste that smacks of burning foliage.  The back of the palate continues to show dry wood flavors and cedar sharpness, but there is a coffee note here that almost makes things bearable....almost.  The draw continues to be too loose and some heat is coming down the flume.  The burn is still solid and is the single performance vector that is right on the money.

The final half of the cigar cements for me that there are worse things than the flu.  The core profile becomes hot, harsh and bitter.  The flavors consist of wet ash, burnt wood and loamy earth.  I struggle to think of anything that could be worse.  The back of the palate shows bitter crushed aspirin flavors and leaves the throat dry and screaming for something moist.  The draw was too loose all the way to the end, but the burn performed very well.

The finish was short, bitter and foul and left me feeling like I still had the flu.

Appearance- 88 a decent looking smoke
Taste- 72 really very poor
Construction- 82 nice burn, but the draw killed the cigar
Strength- 85 a middling medium
Overall- 80.25 a huge disappointment

No comments:

Post a Comment