Monday, January 28, 2013

Curivari Seleccion Privada Fabulosos Maduro (7x52)

Curivari is a cigar that I take credit for single handedly bringing to the attention of the market in the area where I live.  In 2011 I found these beauties by accident while wandering around a New Orleans brick and mortar (also the place I found EloGio) and I brought them home and shared the wealth.  The clamoring for the smokes led to some local B&M's carrying them, and for that they have me to thank.  At least that is what I say, see most of the B&M's around here are very good and the proprietors are very astute so they probably would have ended up with these in stock anyway, besides no one ever listens to me anyway.

This cigar is the newer maduro version of the blend.  When I saw this I was excited.  My reaction was appropriately Pavlovian; drooling, rapid and excited respiration, the desire to make my master happy (I don't even know my master, but I'm pretty sure it is some sort of cigar).  All of these things were happening and I had only just lain eyes on them.  My hands were nearly shaking as I made my selections, if this is what learned behavior is I'm glad I have it for cigars and not for something without pleasure like bamboo shoots under the finger nails, or no cigars.  My proprietor friend just smiled knowingly at me, like the corner crack dealer, I could see the dollar signs in his eyes.  He moved closer, trying not to startle me, and suggested that they might not be around long.  Ordinarily I look at this as a sales ploy, but I know this guy moves unique and rare product so he was telling me the truth.  Instinct kicked in and I felt like a Bear getting ready to bed down for winter, I had to have them and I had to have many of them.

The cigar presents simply and elegantly with same band as the prior blend.  As a note, it would be easy to confuse this band with RyJ or Partagas at a distance, don't make that mistake give a close inspection.  On second thought, just assume they are either RyJ or Partagas and move on so I can move in for the score.  That's right, I am a greedy, cigar grubbing bastard and I can't smoke them all if you get some.  The wrapper on these babies is a traditional maduro, not oiled or cooked or treated to look darker than they are, just a nice plain and natural maduro the color of medium brewed coffee.  There are some veins, but they add to the character of the appearance.  The construction is wonderful, the cigar has just the right amount of tension in the bunch and I can't find an issue anywhere along the parejo.  The pre light aroma is of pepper and coffee.  The pre light draw shows cocoa and pepper flavors that are a true delight.

The cigar opens with a profile that has miles and miles of depth and complexity.  The core flavors are coffee and light pepper, but there are tantalizing hints of dark wood here that add a subtle undertone to the whole experience that is nuanced and balanced.  At the back of the palate and through the nose there a sweet earthy tone that one would expect from a maduro, but there are also some satisfying salty tones here that border on being meaty.  This is a wonderful open to a cigar.  The burn is a touch wonky at the start, but it is evening out as I progress so I am not worried.  The draw is an absolute dream, plenty of smoke with very little effort is just what the doctor ordered.

The first half of the cigar picks up in strength as it progresses and this is a nice change from the standard blend of this cigar.  The standard blend is excellent in it's own right, but this experience is more profound at this point in the smoke.  The core profile shows some robust pepper tones and the coffee flavors have become more bold, there is some nicotine tingle coming in here as well which ramps up the strength quotient.  The back of the palate continues to impress me as the earthy flavors intensify and the dark wood notes become more and more prominent.  The burn has evened out beautifully and the draw is still an absolute dream.

The final half of this cigar is what cigar smoking is all about.  I view each portion of a cigar as an experience, and this is an adventure of epic proportions.  The core profile blasts away with monumental salvos of pepper, but there are notes of cocoa, coffee and cream that add a majestic subtlety to the profile.  The back of the palate shows wonderful notes of dark wood and earth, but there is a raisin like quality on the finish that is taking this to a new level.  I have never experienced this particular flavor in this way as it would usually be overwhelmed by such robust flavors of wood and earth, but it is there and it is wonderful.  The burn is solid all the way to the end and the draw was flawless throughout.

The finish was smooth and long and had notes of pepper, earth and raisin.

This cigar is one of the finest I have smoked in awhile and if you can find them get some, or tell me where they are so I can buy them all.

Appearance- 93 a nice looking smoke that could be mistaken for an inferior brand due to the band
Taste- 96 a classic profile for me, so much flavor and balance and strength
Construction- 91 some points off for early burn problems, but the rest was excellent
Strength- 94 a wonderful medium turning full as the cigar progresses
Overall- 93.5  an excellent smoke

No comments:

Post a Comment