Monday, August 13, 2012

Asylum 13 Robusto (5x50)

Growing up as a budding political scientist I knew that there were two types of asylum.  One, the place where loons get locked up to drool on themselves and hatch delusional notions of conspiracy, grandeur or otherwise.  The other of the political nature, when people from other countries flee from harsh and oppressive regimes around the world to come to this country.  Of course if you are a cigar smoker seeking asylum in this country you will be met with a harsh and oppressive regime of a different sort.  To slap this moniker on a cigar is an interesting choice.  As I am wont to do I must ponder the implications of the strange nomenclature of this cigar before I proceed with other, more pertinent, details.

Is this name a cry out for some sort of political revolution amongst cigar smokers?  I mean we have been ostracized in recent years and now rank with lepers and the other terminally diseased in our society, just go somewhere and try to light up and see what types of looks you get.  It's almost as if I forgot to dress myself or something, the looks of disgust are so prevalent and palpable.  Even in the great outdoors I have been accosted by people for enjoying my fine cigar in the peace and serenity that only Mother Nature can provide.  Maybe it is time that we seek asylum as smokers and try to find the one place in the world that allows us to smoke, unencumbered and unfettered in a manner of our choosing.  I have long held the belief that my state, Florida, could secede from the greater union and become our own country.  We will kick out the non cigar smokers and only those with real smoking bona-fides would be allowed to stay or be granted entry.  This is my kind of country!  I think we could make it happen!  Oh damn, here come the dudes with the strappy jacket! Maybe I'll be going to some sort of asylum after all...

This cigar presents well.  The wrapper is dark and rich, there are some prominent veins, but they seem to add to the overall appeal of the smoke.  An examination of the construction leads me to believe that is fairly well made, but there is some looseness in the bunch that has me worried about draw and combustion.  The pre light aroma is a heady mix of dark fruit and pepper notes and it really slams the nostrils with a notice of what is to come.  The pre light draw is a delightful black cherry flavor that I hope shows up in the smoke.  The final piece of this puzzle is that this cigar retails for five bucks here in Florida.

The cigar opens with a profile that shocks me very quickly.  There is some real power here and the core profile smacks of coffee and cherry and orange zest.  I was not expecting something like this so early on in the smoke and I can only hope that it will continue.  At the back of the palate there is a nice presentation of earth and some light pepper that binds the experience together in a satisfying way.  There is a level of complexity and depth here that is very solid for being so early in a smoke.  The draw is a touch too loose for me, I prefer something with a bit more resistance, but it is not causing any issues.  The burn is solid at this point and a nice ash is forming.

The first half of the cigar falls off from the opening moments.  The core profile has some tar like qualities at this point and there are some charred notes coming off of a coffee flavor that is losing it's punch.  The back of the palate continues to deliver some nice earthy flavors, but the pepper flavor has left and there is thin after taste coming into the picture that has some tannins in it.  I am disappointed that the cigar has taken this turn, but I am holding out for some improvement in the last half.  The draw is still too loose for me, but it is still not causing any real issues.  The burn is starting to go off a touch, but I am hoping it corrects before I have to touch it up.

The final half of the cigar begins poorly but rounds into a fine final third.  The first part of the last half stays much like the first half, there are still some tar like notes and some charred flavors as well, but then all of the sudden the cigar opens up into something so much more.  The core profile hits a switch and shows some nice cocoa and coffee flavors that are accompanied by some hazelnut tones that are simply magnificent.  The back of the palate is a robust presentation of anise and pepper and this binds it all together in a complex and pleasing manner.  Too bad this occurred so late in the smoke.  The draw stays loose through to the end.  The burn does run, but eventually evens itself out after I gently knock some dead wrapper into the tray to force a correction.

The finish was long, but it was a touch sharp with some tar notes overlapping with coffee and earth.

Appearance- 88 a nice looking smoke
Taste- 87 saved in the last few moments, if the entire cigar was like the opening and the last third this would be a higher score
Construction- 83 the draw was too loose and the burn was wonky
Strength- 87 a nice medium that would be full for many smokers I think
Overall- 85.75 slightly above average in the end

No comments:

Post a Comment