Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Partagas Lusitania (7.625x49) (Box Date 2001)

I have a special reserve of smokes that comes out on holidays, birthdays, special sporting events etc...  Sunday was Easter, and after a morning round of golf and a day spent by the pool with the family I made a large dinner of ribeye, grilled vegetables and garlic mashed potatoes.  It is during the after dinner hours during a special day that I most enjoy a nice quiet cigar out on my lanai, the added bonus was a White Sox game on ESPN during my alone time.  As I scoped out the special reserve section of my humidor it struck me that I would need a long smoke, a smoke that could get me through the better part of a long baseball game.  This Lusi was just sitting there, quietly biding it's time, being unobtrusive.  My initial shock wore off, I didn't think I had any old ones left, I do have many newer ones, and I grabbed it and basically ran for the lanai with nary a word to the rest of my family.

I have always thought that this cigar is chivalrous in appearance and it always makes me feel like a dignified aristocrat when I hold one and ponder what it is offering as the lazy smoke drifts above my head.  The cigar just screams majesty as I look it over.  The wrapper is beautiful, without a single flaw.  Even the veining makes the cigar seem wizened, like a Great Grandfather that has aged well.  I envision an old Cuban Grandfather teaching his grandson about the leaf, the bunch, the rolling and the history of the glorified tradition.  I inspect the roll and the bunch and I can't find a single problem, very rare for a Habano in recent times.  The pre light aroma is of leather, cinnamon and light tobacco.  The pre light draw shows a tantalizingly delicate array of subtle flavors including; cinnamon, leather, tobacco and some floral sweetness.

This cigar opens with a profile that ranks amongst the best that I have ever experienced.  There are booming notes of leather and wood, a Partagas hallmark in my opinion, these flavors are the early stars of the show.  There are also cinnamon and tobacco flavors that subtly dance across the palate thereby completing a four flavor opus that is shockingly profound.  At the back of the palate the flavors are all wood, some hickory and oak and light tastes of cedar that provide a most solid backdrop for the core profile.  The draw is a dream, again so rare in recent Habano times, I just get so many that are tight or plugged.  The burn has a slight run in the first moments, but I am hopeful it will even out.

The first third of the cigar continues to wow my palate.  The core profile becomes a more intense presentation of leather and tobacco, but some cinnamon notes hold here to provide a nice sweetness that has some spice.  The back of the palate continues to show lots of woody flavors, but there is a vanilla essence here too, it is almost so slight that if I had not been so in tune to the experience I might have missed it.  The draw continues to perform like a dream.  The burn is still slightly off and I knock some discolored wrapper into the tray gently hoping to even the smoke out.

The middle third of the cigar shows me things that I can't recall from past Lusi's that I have smoked.  The core profile morphs into a powerful, and full bodied, presentation of flavor.  The core notes become peppery and the cinnamon has transitioned into a more spicy presentation that adds some kick to the presentation.  At the back of the palate there are still crisp wood notes, but a rich tobacco flavor has entered the frame and it is most welcome as a base for the spice and pepper to sit on.  I don't if the woody flavors could have held up to the power being shown here.  The draw is still exceptional as I near the last third.  The burn has evened out and I am sure the issues are behind me.

The final third of the cigar makes another wondrous transition.  The core profile maintains some peppery flavors, but they are muted by cinnamon and vanilla tones that combine to create a unique profile experience.  At the back of the palate there are still rich tobacco flavors, but they woody notes have returned and a symphonic presentation of both flavors is a welcome final note to the experience.  The draw maintains it's steadfast perfection to the end.  The burn has one more issue, but I don't relight so near the end.

The finish was lingering and nostalgic leaving sweet memories of cinnamon, spice, vanilla and tobacco long after the smoke clears.

Appearance- 97 one of my favorite looking cigars ever
Taste- 100 a perfect balance of excellent flavors throughout that I do not hesitate to rank as tied with the St.Luis Rey Serie A as the best I've ever had
Construction- 94 some burn issues hinder this score, but still exceptional
Strength- 96 an excellent medium/full that wonderfully complements the profile in all the right ways
Overall- 96.75 an absolute classic cigar

No comments:

Post a Comment