Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Elo Gio Serie Habano Corona Extra (6x42)

In February I reviewed the LSV version of this smoke and I raved about the complexity and depth from such a small and unknown boutique cigar.  I have since had many readers of this blog, and listeners of my radio show, comment about how much they too have enjoyed the LSV version of the cigar.  Exactly like the LSV, this cigar was found in my favorite B&M in New Orleans.  I must caution you, there is almost no difference between the two cigars visually, the only way to tell the difference is that the Habano has more red in the band.  I would like to see the manufacturer distinguish the cigars in some way, but I am just being nit picky I guess.

The cigar presents with simple band work and a very plain box presentation as well.  If it had not been for the proprietor telling me about these I would have passed them over as cheap and not worth smoking.  The cigar itself is very simple, with the exception of the triple seam cap that screams master craftsman, so simple that it is difficult to talk about any unique qualities.  The wrapper is flawlessly applied and I can't find any reason to think that it may be a problem.  The construction seems to be excellent as there are no areas of concern for me.  The pre light aroma is dusty, but sweet and mildly spicy with a touch of nutmeg.  The pre light draw is fluid and sweet with a touch of honey and some nice tobacco and nutmeg flavors.

The cigar opens with a profile so subtle, so nuanced, that it is almost too difficult to discern what is happening.  The core profile is a fabulous array of toast, cinnamon, nutmeg and floral sweetness that combine to impart miles of flavor while maintaining scads of complexity in a mild blend.  This is a feat that is seldom seen in the cigar world and I take several minutes to contemplate the meaning of this cigar that breaks the mold in such a subtle, yet middle finger raised way.  The cigar is almost saying, F YOU size and strength whores, I am here to prove that nuance and balance can be just as good, if not better, than anything else out there.  The draw is a touch tight, but it is acceptable for now.  The burn is right on the money in the opening moments.

The first half of the cigar becomes something that I have never, ever, experienced.  The core profile is an array of fantastic flavors as it presents cinnamon, bread, sweet nuts and some light tobacco flavors that are sublime.  At the back of the palate there is a tartness that borders on showing notes of anise, but is mostly of cedar and spice.  The draw is still too tight for my taste, but it is meeting basic cigar standards in my world.  The burn is still very solid and I am not having any issues in this area.

The final half of the cigar becomes a more robust presentation of flavors that excites me as I contemplate the meaning of the cigar.  The core profile becomes a more medium bodied presentation of cinnamon, light wood, floral essence and nutmeg.  At the back of the palate there are some bold presentations of cedar, but the secondary flavors have moved away.  The draw is still a touch too tight for me, but it is serviceable.  The burn is solid to the finish.

The finish was somewhat short, but there are very positive notes of sweet nuts and cinnamon that are very satisfying.

Appearance-  88 a nice cigar to look at, but a similar band to it's kin could cause confusion.
Taste- 92 a very subtle and nuanced presentation of many complementary flavors
Construction- 87 some draw tightness hurt the score here
Strength- 86 a nice medium, but some more oomph would be welcome
Overall- 88.75 a very nice experience

No comments:

Post a Comment