Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Humo Jaguar Robusto (5x52)

A couple of months ago I started hearing about a Humo Jaguar and I was baffled by this development.  I was under the impression that the Humo Jaguar may have been some new species of cat discovered by the world renowned animal enthusiast Umberto Humo (of course no such person exists, but in my head he did for awhile).  I also considered the possibility that maybe Jaguar motors had come up with some new and sexy looking sports car.  Then I realized that I only move in cigar circles and that I don't really know any motor enthusiasts or people that go to exotic locales to see rare animals.  After doing the math I realized that Humo Jaguar must be a cigar.  After feeling silly for not realizing it in the first place, I began to realize that it was not my fault.  Who names a cigar Humo Jaguar anyway?  It is a ridonkulous name for a smoke.

Hyperbole and cigar nomenclature aside I decided I had to smoke of these bad boys because I had been hearing some raves.  I chose the robusto, because....well because the other sizes are just too damn big.  If I wanted to smoke a baseball bat I would travel to Louisville and get my fill.  The cigar presents well with a nice toothy wrapper and some light veining.  I have some concern about the cigar being too dry, but upon closer examination I can see all the appropriate hallmarks of proper care.  The pre light aroma is full of floral barnyard notes.  The pre light draw shows some hints of raisin, a characteristic I note in almost every Honduran cigar I smoke.

The cigar opens with a profile that is simply way too mild for me.  There are some nice flavors of raisin and a light ginger like spice, but they just don't deliver with much impact and reveal a lack of depth at this point.  At the back of the palate there are some very light tobacco notes and a light toasty character that is pleasant, but again not very deep.  The draw is a touch on the tight side, but I can feel it loosening as the first quarter inch proceeds.  The burn is solid and a nice, dirty, gray ash is the result.

The first half of the cigar remains mild, but it does show some nice profile development.  The core profile continues to show some raising and ginger notes, but there is a light leather flavor that is creeping in here and adding some interesting complexity to the overall presentation.  I would still like some more depth in the smoke and the flavors could definitely be more robust in areas.  At the back of the palate a more straightforward set of flavors are showing through.  There are some nice flavors of light wood and light tobacco here with a nice undertone of toasty, woody flavors.  The draw has opened nicely and performs very well through the first half.  The burn continues to be very solid.

The final half of the cigar is still mild and that will be my great complaint about this cigar, it just does not deliver enough for the experienced smoker and I would only be able to fit it in my rotation as the occasional morning smoke.  The profile continues to show raisins and some other mulled fruit tones are here as well.  There continues to be a nice shade of leather flavor here that provides some interesting interplay with the other flavors, but it never gains strength or congeals into a complex and deep presentation.  At the back of the palate the light wood and light tobacco flavors continue.  The draw is acceptable to the end and the burn continues to be strong throughout.

The finish was a touch thin, but showed some lingering spice and toasty wood and tobacco notes.  This cigar would be far, far better with more strength and depth of flavor.

Appearance- 87 a touch too dry in appearance
Taste- 87 a nice presentation, but I would have liked much more punch
Construction- 89 some early tightness in the draw
Strength- 85 a very, very pedestrian mild.
Overall- 87.25 an above average smoke, but there are mild cigars with more depth and complexity that I would rather smoke

No comments:

Post a Comment