Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Curivari Gloria de Leon Prominente (6.75x54)

This is the third or fourth cigar that I have reviewed from this little Nicaraguan boutique and I have been mostly impressed with everything I have tried from them so far.  I believe that the most fun one can have as a cigar enthusiast is in finding blends that no one has ever heard of and being the first to try them.  That is the case here, and I have given some of these out to some selected friends to rave reviews as well, now we all just need these smokes to be available around here.  Thus far I have only found them in New Orleans and there does not appear to be a way to get them from the website.

This cigar is huge, much bigger than I usually prefer, I am keeping an open mind though because I have enjoyed the other offerings from this maker.  The cigar is ruddy in appearance and the band work is simple, if you buy based on looks you would pass this right over without a second thought.  The construction seems to be a bit loose in some areas, but I am going to smoke this slowly while watching the beloved Bears anyway, so I am not worried.  The pre light aroma is full of dark fruit notes, black cherry and raspberry come immediately to mind.  The pre light draw shows some fine tobacco character and some light brushes of cocoa.

The cigar opens with a profile of such depth and complexity that I am transfixed by the presentation, which is a good thing because the Bears are neither complex or deep at this particular juncture, when is Lovie Smith going to realize that the Cover 2 is no longer a legitimate defense in this league?  I digress, the core profile is showing excellent flavors of black cherry, light pepper and dark wood.  There is an undertone of cocoa here that is tantalizing and leaves the palate yearning for more of the richness it is providing.  At the back of the palate there are some serious presentations of rich tobacco and a hearty grain like flavor that I would equate to a seven grain bagel.  There is just so much complexity here I am in a struggle to figure out what it all means at this point.  The draw is too loose, again I am not worried because I have figured this cigar to go for more than two hours anyway.  The burn is sharp and is producing a nice white ash.

In the first half of the smoke I reach heights that are seldom experienced in a cigar smoker's journey.  The profile morphs into a robust concoction of strength and flavor that is rarely achieved.  The core shows flavors of black cherry, chocolate, raspberry, dark wood and light dustings of sugar.  At the back of the palate there are still some presentations of dark wood, but an excellent spray on cinnamon has shown up here and it is welcome.  I don't know if I have ever experienced a cigar that has this much recognizable flavor laced through it.  Too bad the Bears are not keeping up with the cigar, they are wavering horribly in the 3rd quarter and I am sure their goose is cooked, I don't even really care because this smoke is so good.  The draw is still too loose for me, but it is not causing me any issues.  The burn is still solid.

The final half of this cigar propels it into legendary status for me.  The profile shows a wonderful transition into a presentation of dark wood, pepper, black cherry and sugar that intensifies so rapidly it takes me by surprise.  At the back of the palate cinnamon notes are still showing through and there is a fabulous overtone of rich tobacco flavor that is binding the experience together with incredible subtlety.  The Bears suck it on this evening, but this cigar is taking the sting out of the loss.  The draw stays too loose for me throughout and that is the only negative about this cigar.  The burn is superior right down to the nubbed end.

The finish was long and satisfying with lingering sugar and pepper notes that tease the palate well after last pull.  I seldom smoke the same cigar right after finishing, but this is one I would have smoked right away, if only I had more.

Appearance- 86 not going to win any contests, but slightly above average
Taste- 98 a classic profile that just wowed me at every turn
Construction- 89 the loose draw was a factor for me, the cigar performed well in spite of it
Strength- 94 a wonderful medium/full presentation that complemented the profile superbly
Overall- 92.25 some issues with the draw and lackluster appearance hurt the score, but still an excellent smoke

No comments:

Post a Comment