Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Berger & Argenti Clasico Rothchild (5x50)

While digging through the singles drawers I came upon this little number, I have no idea where or when I picked it up, but it seemed interesting to me so I decided to continue my tour de singles.  I know that many of my fellow BOTL's have talked about this cigar, but I had never really tuned in to hear what they were really saying, I just assumed it was another new entry into the so-so category.  I could not have been more wrong about that.

The cigar is very plain looking, there is no flair or spectacle.  The wrapper is a light brown, somewhat like a creamed coffee, and it has a nice sheen to it without being visually oily.  The construction seems to be acceptable upon inspection, but the roll seems a bit to tight to me.  The pre light aroma is light, but it smacks of cinnamon and wood.  The pre light draw shows some nice flavors of spice and pumpkin.

This smoke opens with a fairly pedestrian profile offering.  There are some notes of light wood and some fleeting cinnamon, but the lack of depth and complexity in the front of the profile are concerning to me at this point.  At the back of the palate there is a warm wood flavor that seems a touch like pine to me.  The draw is a little tight, but so far it is acceptable.  The burn is sharp and a nice gray ash is forming.

The first half of the cigar really warms up the palate.  The profile morphs into a fantastically deep and satisfying array of flavors showing cinnamon, pumpkin, spice, light wood and a hard candy sweetness.  At the back of the palate there are some excellent notes of pine and some nutmeg essences that are really showing through.  This is a profile unlike any I have every experienced and I am really looking forward to the finish.  The draw has opened slightly, but there is some heat coming into the picture here.  The burn is still solid.

The final half of the cigar loses some of it's lustre, but it continues to perform well, albeit not as impressively as the first half.  The profile still shows some cinnamon flavors, but there are some tart presentations of ginger here as well.  This is still very good, but more mundane than the first half led me to expect.  At the back of the palate there are still some nice wood flavors, but there is some heat causing a charred character here as well.  The draw is still opening, but not to the point where I like and the burn is solid throughout.

The finish was middling, but left me longin for what was displayed in the first half of the cigar.

Appearance- 85 a very average look and feel
Taste- 92 an excellent first half, but the rest could use some attention
Construction- 87 some draw tightness caused hear, but overall good
Strength- 89 a very satisfying medium
Overall- 89 Not bad for a boutique single

No comments:

Post a Comment