Monday, April 18, 2011

Ashton Cabinet #6 (5.5x50)

The next treat from the singles drawers is this fine specimen.  I used to smoke these on a fairly regular basis, but as my tastes matured and became more in tune to stronger selections I went away from this mild smoke.  After smoking this I am thinking that I was a dunce for making that particular decision.  The cigar is elegant and handsome due to being draped in a flawless, nearly blond wrapper.  The band has a regal looking script that adds to the visual array.  An inspection of the smoke reveals no areas of concern and I am nearly shaking in anticipation, but I continue my ritual, it is not that often that a cigar has this effect on me and I want to savor the moments.  The pre light aroma has touches of light cinnamon and light tobacco.  The pre light draw shows some nuanced balance with roasted nuts and light coffee flavors with hints of vanilla.

After the buildup the cigar opens somewhat disappointingly.  The profile is tasty, but lacks in depth and balance in the early moments.  There are some flavors of light wood, cinnamon and spice but they are all together disjointed and fleeting.  At the back of the palate there is a brush of white pepper, but there is also some early bitterness that I usually associate with young cigars.  The draw is dead solid perfect, there is just enough resistance to make the labor worthwhile without being a distraction and it allows for booming clouds of smoke.  The burn is razor sharp and the ash is a crisp white.

The first half of the cigar is a lesson in duality.  In the first inch or so the profile in alternately of wood and pepper.  For the next half inch the draw becomes decidedly cinnamon like and the cigar really starts to deliver some excellent flavor.  As the first half draws to a close I am smitten with the profile that is emerging.  There are blasts of caramel and almond radiating across the taste buds and the flavors are bold, deep and complex at this point.  All the while at the back of the palate a creamy vanilla flavor has held it all together with the grip of a wrestler, but the nuance of a master craftsman.  The draw continues to be perfect for me and I am caught pondering how perfection can be so profound yet so fleeting in the cigar world.  The burn is a monument to perfect construction as the ash holds out for nearly three inches.

The final half of the cigar is sadly not as earth shaking as the first, but it is still very solid.  The profile transitions into a more mild presentation of light white pepper notes and light wood, some of the depth and complexity are gone, but the balance remains to provide a solid experience.  At the back of the palate there are some nice flavors of light, crisp tobacco with fleeting hints of cinnamon..  The draw is still fabulous and I do not hesitate to rate this as one of the best constructed cigars I have smoked in a long time.  The burn is solid all the way to the end.

The finish is a touch short with some bitter flavors, but there are some nice hints of wood and white pepper.

This is one of the finer cigars I have smoked in a long time and I can only hope my singles experiment continues along this path.

Appearance- 94 an excellent visual experience that calls out to the prospective smoker
Taste- 92 some points off for the opening moments and the finish, but overall a wonderful smoke
Construction- 100 a flawless performance here
Strength- 95 an excellent mild to low end of medium that compliments the profile in a classic way
Overall- 95.5 a classic cigar for me

No comments:

Post a Comment