Friday, January 21, 2011

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story (4x48)

In looking through my archives I found that I had never reviewed this iconic cigar, and I have been smoking it for years and years. At one time, during the end of the boom period, this cigar could command $17.00. In recent years it is less than $6.00 and I have always thought that it was worth every penny, even when the premium was in place. My fear of reviewing these classic cigars of bygone smoking days is always the same, what if I now think the cigar stinks, I will not only have lost an old standby but I will have ruined some great cigar memories. So with wistful emotions I begin the journey of this review.

The cigar itself presents very well, I have always admired this shape, and I know what skill and craftsmanship is on display in this intricate vitola. The wrapper is the usual Hemingway medium brown and has that dusty texture that just seems right on these cigars. I always think of an old library somewhere, probably having to do with being named after the legendary author, and I think of dusty books with information yet to be discovered. This cigar always make me long for a smoking jacket, slippers, fireplace, armchair and scotch. This vivid imagery has always accompanied this smoke for me, no matter the venue in which I smoke it. The cigar is well made, but I anticipate the usual early burn problems that I always encounter with this vitola. The pre light aroma is light, but has some nice hints of roasted nuts. The pre light draw is almost floral, but shows some nutty presentations as well.

The cigar opens as I expect. The draw is tight, this is due to the nipple at the foot and the narrow burn passageway in the early moments, but I believe that it will open up as it usually does. The burn is wonky, but I also have always experienced this correcting itself relatively quickly. The profile is replete with roasted nut flavors, but they are not particularly complex or deep. At the back of the palate there are some nice light wood flavors with some cedar sweetness.

The main body of this small smoke is all that I remember it to be. There are some excellent notes of roasted nuts, spice and light wood throughout the smoke. There are some complexity and depth issues, but the straightforward presentation is refreshing here. At the back of the palate there are some dry areas, but overall there are some nice touches of wood and some floral essences here as well. The draw opens up nicely in the middle sections and the burn evens out making for an easy smoking experience.

The finish is somewhat middling, but has some nice wood and floral notes that linger.

Appearance- 94 always fun to look at
Taste- 88 a solid profile that could use more depth and complexity
Construction- 88 some early issues as usual, but they evened out
Strength- 91 a very nice mild/medium
Overall- 89.5 an excellent cigar that has stood the test of time

No comments:

Post a Comment