Thursday, January 6, 2011

Art Deco Grand Robusto (5.5x54)

I have not written many reviews recently, my apologies, I have actually been busy with my day job. My night job as a cigar critic is far more fun, you can trust me on that.

Everyone that knows me knows that I am a huge fan of Don Pepin's cigar creations, I believe that he is the master, and I also believe that his smokes show his mastery. Along comes the Art Deco, I have been hearing that this was the best cigar at the IPCPR show this past year and I was waiting to get one and have a smoke.

The cigar presents well but is a bit more bulky than I usually prefer, this big ring revolution has to peter out at some time I hope. The wrapper is leathery and has some veins, but I am not concerned that they will cause any issues. The texture and firmness of the cigar seem to be just right and I can't find anything that would make me believe that it will smoke poorly. The pre light aroma is oddly floral. The pre light draw shows some strange spice and some sort of anti-septic lemon taste is left on the palate.

The cigar opens with a profile that is profoundly sweet and weird. I liken it to the smell from the old lady in front of you at the deli. You know the one with too much perfume but also the strange smell of moth balls and spearmint? This cigar tastes like that smell. At the back of the palate there are some signs of a light wood trying to poke through, but it is cloaked in the sickly taste of the front of the profile. The burn is right on the money, but the draw is too tight for me at this point.

The first half of the cigar continues to founder about. The main profile maintains the odd perfumy taste, but there are also some hints of mint and light spice that could be pleasing if it weren't for the perfume. At the back of the palate there are some definite essences of cedar and some light earth, but the weirdness from the front of the profile continues to permeate the back end. The burn continues to be steady and the draw has opened slightly, but is still tight.

The final half of the cigar shows no development. The profile never develops and the perfume taste has nearly ruined the entire experience. This may be the first Pepin cigar that I have been totally disappointed in. What a shame.

The finish was middling and showed more perfume as time passed.

Appearance- 92 a very nice looking smoke
Taste- 73 just not very good at all
Construction- 86 a tight draw early hurts this smoke
Strength- 85 a middle of the road medium
Overall- 82.5 a big, big disappointment

No comments:

Post a Comment