Wednesday, November 10, 2010

La Gloria Cubana Serie N Rojo (6.5x46)

I have always found the sister incarnation of this blend, the Serie R, to be very inconsistent. I have had some that I have rated as high as 92 and some that I have rated as low 83, that type of inconsistency can kill a cigar in an industry with ever more demanding consumers out there. I had heard some good things about the N and was looking forward to smoking it.

The cigar presents with a nearly jet black wrapper that has plenty of oils and some feint veins, for added effect there is a small N just below the band in the wrapper that I find to be unique visually. The pre light aroma is boring, but shows some earthy qualities. The pre light draw is sour, but has some hints of pepper as well.

The cigar opens with a straightforward profile of earth, tobacco and coffee. There is nothing particularly compelling about the flavors, as they lack depth and complexity. There is a nice balance, but it is a balance of mediocrity at this point. At the back of the palate there are some tastes of pepper, but there is a flat wooden overtone here that is out of place. The draw is too tight for and there is some labor in producing the right amount of smoke. The burn is off as well and I fear that there will be touch ups in the future.

The first half of the cigar continues to be lackluster. The profile is still balanced, but the flavors lack depth, nuance and complexity. There are some shows of earth and tobacco, but overall the presentation is flat. At the back of the palate a more woody array of flavors has taken hold and there is a sweetness creeping in that I would equate to molasses, but my overall impression of this cigar is still wanting. The draw is still too tight for my liking and the burn continues to deteriorate with a huge runner that I am avoiding touching up at all costs.

The final half of the smoke maintains a pedestrian character. The profile stays very average showing some ideas of earth, tobacco and some pepper. I am unimpressed with this effort and was hoping for so much more. At the back of the palate there are still some hints of sweetness, but the flat wood notes are returning as well. The burn and draw remain sub par through to the end.

The finish was short and showed some chemical flavors that were unappealing.

I was really disappointed in this because I expected more, but in the end I would say that this cigar was very average. Hopefully, like the Serie R, there are some gems out there. The two I smoked did not fit the bill.

Appearance- 92 a very attractive smoke
Taste- 85 very, very average
Construction- 78 bad draw and burn hurt this smoke
Strength- 83 a weak full that needs to complement the profile more effectively
Overall- 83.5 below average due to construction problems

No comments:

Post a Comment