Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Carlos Torano Single Region Serie Jalapa Robusto (5x52)

This is a new cigar from Torano, in the interest of full disclosure I should tell all of you that I seldom like anything from the Torano clan. This cigar has had a lot of scuttlebutt recently and I finally succumbed to the pressure and gave one a smoke.

The cigar itself is nothing spectacular to look at. The wrapper is mottled, the band pedestrian and the over all visual seemed very dry to me. There are some prominent veins in the wrapper, but the overall construction seems to be acceptable. The pre light aroma is odd, but shows some hints of ginger and clove. The pre light draw is sour and I can't detect anything that makes me feel otherwise.

The cigar opens with a profile that is thin and lacking in zest. There are some strange spice characteristics, but the overall impression is that the smoke is scorched and acrid. At the back of the palate there are some harsh tinges of dry vegetation and the smoke is also very dry causing some discomfort in the throat. The burn is slightly askew but not in need of touch up at this point. The draw is acceptable, but a bit too tight for me at this point.

The first half of the cigar continues to be lackluster. The main profile is scorched and acrid, with some fleeting ideas of spice and tobacco, but the overall presentation is very onerous. At the back of the palate the dryness continues and there are no real flavors that can be detected at this point in the cigar. The burn has deteriorated further and I begin the process of what will become several touch ups. The draw remains tight, but passable.

The final half of the cigar is the death knell for this experience. The main profile shows scorched and acrid flavors, plus an odd chemical flavor that is horrific. At the back of the palate I am trying to control my gag reflex, as this cigar ramps up the putrescence. The burn continues to be inferior and the draw is passable, but I wish it was obstructed so I can launch this rocket.

The finish was fetid, with essence of dry vegetation and acrid flavors that were bordering on acidic.

I would recommend some fine machine made fare if you have a choice between this and a King Edward.

Appearance- 85 an average looking cigar
Taste- 70 my lowest possible mark for a cigar
Construction- 77 the burn was horrible and the draw barely passable
Strength- 85 an average medium
Overall- 77.25 don't waste your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment