Friday, July 9, 2010

Bolivar Petit Corona (5x42) (1997 Box Date)

I awaited the arrival of this box with great anticipation, it is just so rare to find a box with this kind of age on it. My friend got them, rested them gently, and then I took possession and began the journey. The cigar is beautiful, the wrapper is flawless and applied with the touch of expert hands. There is a leathery quality to wrapper that makes the palate anticipate the experience. An inspection shows that the cigar is well made, I only detect one area where there may be a small void to navigate. The pre light aroma smacks of cedar and leather. The pre light draw is smooth and easy while imparting flavors of earth, leather and tobacco.

I can hardly contain myself as I put flame to this one while walking out the door for the twenty mile cruise to my office. It is 8:30 in the morning and my senses are alive as I take the first draws. The opening profile is profound, showing leather, earth, spice and peppery flavors that are mingling to produce a superior sensory experience. At the back of the palate there are some hints of vanilla and a toasty note of bread. I am struck by the opening complexity, depth and balance of this smoke. The draw is exceptional, there is usually some tightness in this vitola, but not in this cigar as it smoothly delivers ample smoke. The burn is crisp as well and I am paying more attention to the cigar than the road, but it matters not as traffic is light.

The first half of the cigar settles down a bit. The profile delivers notes of leather and earth and is typical of most Bolivars that I have smoked, if a bit more refined due to age. At the back of the palate there are some bitter tones that detract slightly from the experience, but there are some excellent notes of pepper laced with the bready qualities that I noted earlier in the smoke. The draw continues to be flawless, but the burn has taken a turn for the worse as I approach the area I was concerned about. I make the decision to smoke through so as not to scorch the profile, besides I am always loathe to relight.

The final half of this cigar is everything that a classic Bolivar should be about. The core profile continues to deliver notes of leather and earth in a profound delivery of classic flavor that has balance and depth. At the back of the palate the toasty notes continue and the pepper becomes more subdued. The draw continues to perform flawlessly and the burn evens out without any touch ups from me.

The finish is smooth and leaves a satisfying earthy tone that lingers for nearly an hour.

Appearance- 95 an excellent looking cigar
Taste- 92 some subtractions for bitterness, but an excellent overall presentation
Construction- 88 points taken off for the burn issues, but other than that an excellent performance
Strength- 91 surprisingly bold for a cigar of this age
Overall- 91 an excellent experience

No comments:

Post a Comment