Sunday, July 25, 2010

Ashton Magnum (5x50)

This is the classic Ashton presentation, it is simple and elegant and has always been one of my go to smokes for something consistent and expected. It is wrapped in a yellowish/brown wrapper that has few veins and a nice smooth and oily presentation. A quick inspection leads me to believe that this cigar has superior construction and that I will not encounter any issues. The pre light draw is lightly spicy and a bit unexpected for me. The pre light draw shows some cinnamon and light tobacco notes.

The cigar opens with a touch of bitterness, but it dissipates quickly and the cigar shows some nice creamy vanilla notes, there is a mix of nice spice and cinnamon as well. At the back of the palate there are some solid flavors of cedar. The draw is a but tight for me, but not causing any issues in terms of performance. The burn is sharp and produces a nice solid ash as it progresses.

The first half of the cigar shows all of the things that I have come to expect from this smoke. The core profile has blasts of cinnamon and light spice, there is a solid under layer of light wood flavors that complement the main presentation extremely well. At the back of the palate there are still flavors of cedar that are quite nice, and they are offset by a nice mix of vanilla and bready notes. The draw remains a touch tight, but again it is a subjective evaluation as I like my cigars to draw in a very specific way. The burn is still rock solid and razor sharp.

The final half of the cigar picks up the pace a bit, and I am slightly surprised by this turn of events, as a strengthening of flavors is not typically what I expect of this smoke. The core profile intensifies with cinnamon and clove notes that are heady, there is still a nice undertone of tobacco but it has become richer and more involved with the presentation. At the back of the palate the cedar flavors have given way to a more robust oaky flavor that is emboldened by a slight tinge of white pepper that has crept in. I am impressed with the level of depth and complexity at this point. The draw opens up in the back half and becomes more acceptable to me. The burn is solid throughout.

The finish is a bit short, but shows a nice conclusive note of cinnamon and oak.

Appearance- 92 a very nice, simple looking cigar
Taste- 94 an excellent array of flavors, I smoked this with a clean palate which is what needs to be done to detect an array of subtlety that would not be noticeable after heavier blends
Construction- 88 some early draw tightness detracts for me, but all in all above average
Strength- 93 a very nice mild starter cigar, a lynch pin for early in the rotation
Overall- 91.5 a very impressive smoke

No comments:

Post a Comment