Sunday, April 21, 2013

L'Atelier Selection Speciale (5.625x46)

Some time ago I reviewed the larger ring version of this blend, and despite my misgivings about larger ring cigars, gave it a very high score.  It's level of complexity and depth was astounding and I announced the return of Pete Johnson with this cigar.  My excitement about the blend in a thinner ring gauge can't be appropriately conveyed with mere words, but I will say it was palpable and intense.  A very special thanks to the Brother of the Leaf that gave it to me.

I will start off by saying that I usually don't look into the particulars of many cigars, I don't care about origins of tobacco and blend percentages and all that scientific hoopla, I really just care if the cigar tastes good.  In this case though, the cigar seemed so much darker than the standard blend that I just had to go to the source and find out what was going on.  There was a long liturgy about hybrid this and country of origin that, not very interesting to me at all, what did interest me was that this is exactly the same cigar all around except the wrapper is a higher priming and thus darker in color.  Now that I had solved that problem I was ready to get down to the real business, smoking.

The cigar presents with the same band work and other trappings that I usually note.  The wrapper, while darker, is still well applied and looks silky smooth and wonderful.  I can't find any areas of concern in the construction and the cigar just seems to be so ready to smoke.  The pre light aroma is of heavy black tea.  The pre light draw has some nice pepper and tobacco notes.

The cigar opens with a profile that is unique and very enticing.  The core profile shows blasts of black tea and earthy notes that are so deep and complex it is hard to put my head around what I am being shown here.  Aside from these delicious early notes there is just a hint of cocoa coming through that adds some light sweetness to the opening moments that really ties the experience together nicely.  Through the nose and at the back of the palate there are some wonderful hints of roasted nuts and crisp tobacco flavors that further enhance the complexity of the early experience.  The draw is absolute perfection for me, plenty of smoke with very little work, if only everything were this easy.  The burn is solid and sharp from the get go.

The first half of the cigar mellows out some, in that there is less going on.  The core profile really settles into a nice presentation of tea flavors and some hints of earth, this core experience is really something to behold.  The back of the palate really binds the experience together as it becomes a heady presentation of bold tobacco flavors and picks up the strength quotient with some nicotine tingle at the back of the tongue.  Just as the first half concludes there is a peppery flavor showing through the nose that really picks up the pace of this cigar.  The draw is a dream to this point, just an absolute masterpiece.  The burn is also very solid still, not a run or canoe and nary an issue.

The final half of the cigar is among the best that I have smoked in years.  The core profile is a delightful mix of tea, cocoa and light wood flavors that just have miles and miles of depth.  This kind of balance and complexity is not often found and when I do find it I cherish it with the appropriate amount of reverence and awe.  The back of the palate is likewise extraordinary.  There are real strong notes of pepper here and the tobacco flavors that are coming through are bold and refined to a crispness that I can't define here.  The draw and burn are remarkable to the end.

The finish was excellent, with lingering pepper and tea notes.

This is a cigar of the year candidate for sure.

Appearance- 94 a wonderful looking smoke with elegance and grace
Taste- 97 they just don't come much better than this.  Complexity and depth all over the place
Construction- 100 they do not come any better in this area, not a single issue at all
Strength- 96 a wonderful strength at all times
Overall- 97.25 I don't hesitate to rate this as one of the best cigars I have ever smoked




No comments:

Post a Comment