Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Wynwood Honduras (5.5x46)

This cigar has really flummoxed me for several days now.  I first smoked one a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely hated it, and I was ready to write one of my scathing blogs saying so.  Then a funny thing happened on my way to the I hate this cigar blog factory in my head, someone gave me a moment of pause when they said they had also hated the first one they smoked, but now thought that the cigar was great.  I pumped the brakes a little bit and started thinking that maybe I smoked one that was just too fresh off the truck after a long transport.  It is well known that cigars sometimes need to rest before they can be smoked, particularly after a long sojourn.  So I did something I almost never do, I decided to give the cigar another chance.  You may be agog, but it's true, I do have a heart sometimes.  In smoking another one I thought that it was pretty damn good, so I decided that I would smoke a few more before making a judgement (a similar process to my experience with CAO's Osa last year).  Well, I'm ready to write my review now so brace yourself.

The cigar presents well, if simply, and that is always a nice start for me.  Don't overwhelm my senses with superfluous adornments and glitz, just give me a cigar and I am a happy guy.  The wrapper is applied flawlessly and there are few veins present, it is smooth and nearly blond in color and I am thinking mild at this point based on visuals.  The construction seems to be very solid, and I can't find any areas that have me concerned at this point.  The pre light draw is full of cinnamon and light herbal flavors.  The pre light aroma has some floral spots, but also has some nice light tobacco essence as well.

This cigar opens with a profile that isn't profound, but it is very solid.  The core flavors seem a bit dusty to me and the smoke leaves some residue on the palate, but there are nice ideas of cinnamon, vanilla, tobacco and sage here.  The back of the palate has all the making of a fine backdrop showing some nice light wood flavors and some further brushes of light tobacco flavors.  The draw is a little tight, but I am not struggling, it just is not as fluid as I usually like.  The burn is spot on and is progressing as if there will be nary an issue.

The first half of the cigar is much the same as the open.  The flavors continue to show well, but some more depth would be necessary to elevate this cigar past above average.  The core profile still holds cinnamon and crisp tobacco flavors, but some of the other flavors have become too fleeting to mention at this stage.  The back of the palate continues to be woody, but it has also developed the slightest note of white pepper as well and that gives the cigar some extra smoking value.  The draw has opened up somewhat, but it is still too tight for me and I don't believe that will change.  Sometimes a cigar is just rolled more tightly than others, it happens.  The burn is still right on the money and I don't think there will be any issues here.

The final half of the cigar continues to march on.  The core profile becomes a more opaque mix of flavors as cinnamon, tobacco and some light creamy notes of vanilla compete for center stage.  This gives the cigar a devil may care personality as no flavor steps forward and there is no real glue holding the experience together.  The back of the palate continues to be a solid presentation of wood and light tobacco flavors, but it fails to deliver any real binding factor to the front of the experience.  The draw stays the same throughout and the burn was excellent until the end.

The finish was a touch short and some bitter wood flavors hurt the final impression.

Appearance- 87 a nice simple looking smoke
Taste- 86 some nice flavor, but nothing new here
Construction- 88 some tight draw issues take points
Strength- 87 a nice mild/medium that would make a great starter in the AM hours
Overall- 87, slightly above average

No comments:

Post a Comment