Monday, July 23, 2012

St. Luis Rey Churchill (Box Date 2005)(6.875x47)

I don't often review Cuban cigars for the pages of this blog, but every once in awhile I smoke something so sublime and so rare that I feel I must share the experience with everyone who will listen.  I am a firm believer that every superior cigar experience should be shouted from the rooftops, so I head to the rooftop to discuss this cigar.

If you will indulge me I will set the scene.  It was a Top 5 cigars of 2012 event, we do two of these per year, one from the first half of the year and then again in December or January to review the Top 5 from the entire year.  I always look forward to these events because some of the best cigar people I know get together and we smoke and discuss, and basically carry on in general.  It was hot, but not uncomfortably so and as we got started I arranged a Habano trade for this cigar, it only cost me a 2007 Bolivar Belicoso Fino.  One of my favorite cigars of all time is a St. Luis Rey so I was excited to get my hands on this vitola.  You just don't see many St. Luis' out there so I just had to have this one.

The cigar presents very well.  There is something very appealing about a traditional cuban churchill, it is majestic and has a structurally solid presence.  The wrapper is well applied and has that usual wrinkly vein appearance of a well aged habano.  The cap is a little bit sloppy but the rest of the inspection makes me believe that the cigar will perform very well.  The pre light aroma is of floral spice and sweet clover.  The pre light draw is dusty, but has some wonderful floral sweetness and light tobacco character.

The cigar opens with a profile that is subtle, yet magnificent, showing layers of depth that are seldom seen in the cigar world.  The core profile is full of clover and honey flavors that tantalize the palate with sweet flavors whilst still having enough strength to let the smoker know that a cigar is still being smoked.  This is an unexpected flavor profile for me, but still similar enough to other St. Luis' that I have had that a comparison is still attainable.  When I consider a cigar that may be listed in the Czar pantheon of greats I always like to be able to compare the cigar to the others that have already attained the lofty heights.  The back of the palate is replete with nice flavors as well.  The main body is all light, crisp tobacco but there is a very interesting dusty flavor of light cinnamon and sugar in the backdrop as well.  This leads to an experience that ranks amongst the most unique that I have smoked.  The draw is tight, but not in any way that is not ordinary for a cuban.  The burn is a little bit off early, but I don't think I will have any issues.

The first half of the cigar continues to impress me.  The core profile continues to show clover and honey flavors, but there is now some very nice light spice coming in as well.  This light spice serves as a nice counterpoint to the sweetness that I was experiencing in the first part of the smoke.  The back of the palate has transitioned into a more robust presentation of woody flavors and there are some ideas of a leather type flavor here as well.  There are still some sweet areas, but this more robust presentation has made the cigar more full bodied.  The draw is still a bit on the tight side, but there are no issues with the performance.  The burn has evened out and I don't have any reason to believe that it will be a problem.

The final half of the cigar really slams home an experience that is in my Top 10 of all time.  The core profile becomes a fantastic and complex balance of honey, leather, spice and crisp tobacco flavors.  These flavors are so balanced that it easy to pick them out, yet so complex that the brain and taste buds almost don't catch all that is happening.  The back of the palate is a very solid presentation of woody flavors and there is some leather here as well.  The draw was consistent throughout.  The burn stayed sharp in the final half without further issues.

The finish was a dream and leather and honey notes lingered on and on.

Appearance- 92 a nice looking smoke with a sloppy cap
Taste- 98 a very fine array of flavors that build a complex and satisfying smoke
Construction- 93 a very nice performance with some points off for draw tightness and early burn issues
Strength- 100 one of the finer medium bodied cigars that I have ever smoked, the strength matched the profile to perfection
Overall- 95.75 a classic cigar and in terms of taste, one of the best I have ever smoked

1 comment:

  1. Wow just for your information, there has been introduced a latest technology of electronic cigars which is remarkably a healthy one, i highly recommend you tried those,,,,


    Smokeless cigarettes

    ReplyDelete