Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Esteban Carreras 211 Torpedo (6.75x52)

As Esteban Carreras is the new manufacturer sponsor of the show I co-host, I thought it only fitting that I take a crack at smoking and reviewing their latest blend.  It is well known that I am no fan of torpedoes, so this cigar already has some strikes against it.  I have enjoyed almost all of the blends from this manufacturer before, with the exception of the Connecticut offering, so I am thinking this one might be worthy of some praise as well.  Alas, one can never tell until flame hits leaf.

The cigar is nice looking, aside from the vitola, it is a very light brown and it is not festooned with crazy band work or other gadgetry that makes me want to toss my lunch.  Instead this cigar gets credit for being simple and elegant in appearance as it only has a small band around the foot of the smoke.  It is presented, box and small band, in white.  I have always heard that white is a danger color in the cigar industry, but I think it is regal looking, besides who can argue with the success of Davidoff or Illusione?  Both of those cigars are presented with white bands and they do well.  Sometimes this industry makes me giggle.  The wrapper looks nice, but the cap is sloppy and there is one very large vein in the middle third that is giving me the hairy eyeball as I give it the same.  The pre light aroma is bready with some vanilla tones.  The pre light draw shows cedar flavors that border on being sharp.

The cigar opens with a profile that is unexpected but not necessarily profound.  The flavor core has some nice notes of sweet vanilla and some floral tones, but the presentation seems thin to me at this point and I am straining to find something deeper.  The back of the palate contains a dry cedar tone that is leeching moisture from my mouth and threatening to derail the experience.  There is also a dusty texture to the smoke that leaves a filmy coat of cedar remnant on the tongue.  This is not the most pleasant open to a cigar that I have ever head, but neither is it the most unpleasant which is all I can say in the way of an endorsement at this point.  The draw is a bit tight, as I find most vitolas of this nature to be, but it is not causing me any huge concerns.  The burn is solid in the opening third.

The first half of the cigar does show some development.  The core profile becomes a more deep and concentrated presentation of vanilla, bread and some floral tones and they have a nice balance, all though I would like some spice to take down some of the sweet impressions here.  The back of the palate continues to show a strong cedar presence, but there is a nice crisp tobacco note here that is taking some of the sharpness out the cedar notes.  The draw continues to be slightly laborious, but I am trudging onward like a good cigar soldier.  The burn is still sharp and there are no areas on concern it that arena.

The final half of the smoke is flat.  I really look for development in the home stretch and this cigar just does not deliver the goods for some reason.  The profile is locked in stasis.  The core maintains vanilla, bread and light floral tastes and I still find myself yearning for some spice to punch up the interest and take out some sweetness, but it never arrives and I end up with a smoke that is too sweet for me.  The back of the palate again sharpens into a strong cedar presentation, but at least this time it's not as dry as on the first pass.  The draw does open up in the final third, which is nice, but I would have liked it to happen much sooner.  The burn is acceptable right to the end.

The finish smacks of cedar and leaves the palate a little bit too dry for my tastes.

Appearance- 87 a nice looking smoke
Taste- 86 just too short in the complexity and depth department, but there were some nice flavors here
Construction- 84 the draw was too tight for me
Strength- 88 a very nice medium
Overall- 85.75 slightly above average, but not my favorite blend from this manufacturer

1 comment: