Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Ortega Serie D No.6 (4x48)

Some very good friends of mine have been raving about this cigar for a few weeks now and I managed to get one slapped into my ever open and greedy hands.  I waited for some time to smoke it, it is small after all and I needed the appropriate window of time for a short smoke. 

Recently, my Fiance decided that she would like to take up golf.  Just like that, on a whim, she decided to take up the game that I love to hate.  I, of course, needed to warm up to this idea.  The golf course is my sanctuary, plus I can only imagine what my country club bill will look like once she starts playing there on the regular.  After some convincing I relented and we went and bought some clubs, shoes, balls, tees and a glove.  Thinking I was done there, she decided that she needed "cute outfits", I did not know that "cute outfits" were a pre-req for golf, but in her world they are so we got some of those too.  Several hundred dollars later, this woman that has never swung a club in her life was all set to go.  There was only one catch, I had to set up her bag for her.  After all she knows nothing about golf, is what I was informed.  So off to my humidor I went, in search of something short to smoke while I arranged her golf future one implement at a time.  This cigar was staring back at me and I decided what better time?  Golf bag setup couldn't take too long, could it?

This cigar is quite short and the 48 ring seems wrong to me, but my trusty ring gauge app says 48 on the nose, so I guess my eyes are off as it seemed much thinner to me.  The wrapper is dark, very dark, and I am reminded of a La Gloria Series R.  There are some veins and the cigar has an unpolished look to it, much like a Padron.  The band work is garish to me, but it does not subtract from the impression.  The cigar seems well constructed, as I can't find any areas of concern.  The pre light aroma is earthy and full of minerals.  The pre light draw is also full of mineral flavors with some peppery qualities.

The cigar opens with a profile that is decidedly one dimensional.  The core is of pepper, pepper and more pepper.  I don't mind a peppery cigar, but I like some nuance to balance it out and it just isn't here at this point.  At the back of the palate there is a huge blast of tobacco flavor that has some harshness to it, but nothing else is going on.  I am disappointed at the lack of complexity and depth and it would not be last time that I was reminded of the La Gloria previously mentioned.  The draw is too tight for me, but I am managing to get it done thus far.  The burn is solid and a nice white ash is forming.

The first half of the cigar maintains a heavily one dimensional approach.  The core profile becomes a more full presentation, but there is a transition into a mineral like profile that still reveals no complexity or depth.  The back of the palate is still churning out tobacco flavors and while the harshness has gone away, there is no nuance or balance.  This is more and more like the Series R's that I have smoked for years.  The draw opens slightly, but it is still too tight.  The burn is solid.

The final half of the cigar transitions into a more involved profile presentation, and not a moment too soon.  The core profile continues to have some mineral influences to it, but an overwrought coffee flavor has come into play here as well.  There are several different coffee impressions that I have described in other reviews, this one is none of them.  This is a scorched coffee flavor and it is not the most pleasant experience as it makes the mineral flavors more pronounced.  At the back of the palate some dark wood notes come into play, but the underlying tobacco flavors are becoming harsh again.  The draw was too tight throughout, though it did open as the smoke progressed.  The burn was fine to the end.

The finish was short and metallic with mineral flavors that turn acidic.

All in all I did not enjoy this very much, perhaps a different size would be better.

Appearance- 86 sort of motley looking
Taste- 82 just not great, no depth, complexity or balance here
Construction- 84 draw tightness hurt the mark
Strength- 85 full to be sure, but not complementary to the smoke
Overall- 83.75 below average, but I'm happy my friends enjoy it

No comments:

Post a Comment