Friday, February 3, 2012

Litto Gomez Small Batch #4 (7x52)

Small batch cigars seem to be right up there with big ring as the current most popular fad in the industry.  While neither are as prominent as they were just a year ago, there are still some out there coming to light every so often.  This cigar is no exception.  This hit the shelves in my area about a month ago and I was one of the first to run out and grab one, then I had a real problem, when to smoke this monster.  It is a huge cigar, not Grave Digger big, but big for me as it is seldom that I will ever smoke something of this size.  I usually enjoy the LFD and Litto blends though so I believe that I could be in for real treat here.

The cigar is draped in a beautiful wrapper that is full of oils, my only concern is that is seems thin to me and it is also full of veins.  There is some small cracking at the head, but it appears to be superficial and when exhaling gently I can't feel any air escaping from anywhere along the sides.  An examination reveals a firmly and fully packed smoke that has no areas of concern for me.  The pre light draw is fluid and reveals hints of pepper, earth and minerals.  The pre light aroma is powerful and has notes of coffee and spice.

The cigar opens with a profile that is bold and in my face.  The core flavors are minerals and earth, but there is also some nice pepper flavor coming through in spots as well.  At the back of the palate the profile is all earth and dark wood.  This is not the most complex or flavorful blend I have ever experienced, but it is also not the worst either.  All in all I would say that is a solid beginning for a smoke that I hope will develop.  The draw is solid, if a little tight, and I can't see any issues coming in this area.  The burn is slow and a very bright white ash is forming as is so often the case with cigars that have a mineral flavor to me.

The first third of the smoke maintains the opening flavors past where I would like to see them.  I was hoping for more development in the profile by this point in the cigar.  The flavors stay consistent, but boring, showing minerals and earth with more fleeting moments of pepper than in the earlier stage of the experience.  At the back of the palate the flavors of earth and dark wood continue to dominate.  The burn and draw are as previously noted.

The middle third of this cigar become something really interesting to me.  The profile continues to show a solid core of mineral and earth flavors, but there are now some very nice notes of dark coffee and some dried dark fruit flavors as well.  These added flavors add layers of complexity and depth that were not present earlier in the smoke and they are a welcome addition.  At the back of the palate earth and wood flavors mingle with a prune like flavor that is unexpected, but not unpleasant.  The draw has opened up at this point and is performing beautifully.  The burn is the real star of the show at this point and I don't drop off the first ash until almost midway through the smoke.

The final third of the smoke is solid, but nothing more.  The complexity and depth of the middle third fade a little here and the profile picks up a sour note that is not well received.  The core remains full of mineral and earth flavors, but the sour notes coming in are not helping.  There are some real bursts of pepper coming through in the final moments and that is a nice touch.  The back of the palate continues to chug along delivering earth and wood flavors in full force.  The burn and draw remain the same to the end of the smoke.

The finish is a real bomb of flavor, hammering the palate with pepper and earth notes for many minutes.

Appearance- 87 rustic, but interesting
Taste- 88 a nice profile, but really lacking everywhere but in the middle of the smoke
Construction- 91 a nice performance, but points off for draw tightness early
Strength- 88 a full forced, full strength experience
Overall- 88.75 a nice, above average offering

No comments:

Post a Comment