Sunday, December 11, 2011

Ernesto Perez Carrillo Edicion Limitada 2011 Dark Rituals (6.5x56)

With the exception of the New Wave Connecticut, recent cigars from the E.P.C. family have largely been home runs.  I have really enjoyed their offerings from recent vintages, so much so, that two of the family cigars appear in the top 10 cigars I have ever reviewed on this blog.  When I heard about this particular smoke I was of course jacked up to give one a smoke.  It was some time before I came across some, but when I did I grabbed several at first opportunity.  A quick warning, these babies are pricey at $15 per smoke, but I was not deterred and took the limit at the shop I was in.

The cigar itself is too large for me, a 56 ring gauge is just out of bounds in my mind, way too big and usually not very complex, not to mention the frequent construction problems I have in large ring vitolas.  Setting my distaste for the size aside, I am ready to evaluate the cigar.  It is classically Carrillo.  The cigar is not flashy, but has an elegant charm.  The band work is simple, allowing the cigar to speak for itself.  The construction feels pretty solid, I can't detect any soft spots or plugs.  The wrapper is beautiful, nearly ebony in color and containing few veins, this is a wrapper that has the palate dripping with anticipation.  The pre light aroma is of dried cherry, coffee and earth.  The pre light draw is full of earth and wood tones with an underlay of pepper.

The opening of this cigar is an absolute opus.  The core profile is full of dark fruit, pepper, wood and coffee flavors and they are deep and full of character and balance.  Complexity of this nature is not often found in a cigar, much less this early in a smoke, because makers often shoot their wad late in a smoking experience, rather than in the first moments.  It is risky, particularly in a cigar this big, to show so much early because deterioration of the experience becomes a real problem.  At the back of the palate complementary flavors are wood and earth with some light clove like spice.  The mix is a captivating melange of flavors with the front of the palate and I am looking forward to more of the same and curious to see what will happen at the same time.  The draw is too loose, but big ring cigars are often too loose for me as I think the bunch is just stretched too thin.  The burn is a touch off, but it is negligible so far in the experience.

The first half of the cigar shows some really nice transitions into a more straightforward cigar experience.  Some might like an eclectic smoke with many transititons and flavors, I'm not one of those people.  What I do like is a smoke that knows what it is, does not try be something else and delivers solidly throughout.  The core profile here has become all pepper and wood,  I am finding some fleeting notes of coffee and some light wisps of nuts here as well.  At the back of the palate earth and spice have taken over as the real glue that holds the profile together.  The draw stays too loose, but I am realizing it won't really matter because the size precludes any real heat from rolling in.

The final half of the cigar picks up the strength game in spades.  There is a definitive shift to a core of pepper and spice that coats the palate in intense flavor.   As this ramps up there is not a loss of nuance or complexity, in fact it is quite the opposite as I feel additional strength is adding another layer of depth to the experience.  At the back of the palate a toasty wood note takes center stage with a nice earthy underlay.  The draw is the same to the finish, too loose for me.  The burn is solid to the end.

The finish was long and full of dry fruit, wood and pepper flavors.

The many well balanced dimensions of this cigar make for an exceptional smoking experience, I only wish it was blended in some thinner vitolas.

Appearance- 89 I just can't give huge cigars a great appearance score
Taste- 93 well balanced, with multiple dimensions make for a fabulous smoking experience
Construction- 91 aside from a draw that was too loose this was excellent
Strength- 97 one of the more nuanced and balanced full flavored cigars I have ever smoked, magnificent
Overall- 92.25 a very, very good smoking experience and I believe it is worth every penny

No comments:

Post a Comment