Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pedro Martin Corojo Toro (6x52)

This is the 300th post on this blog, it has been an incredible journey.  I could not have kept this going without the support of friends, family and readers that have given thousands of pointers, tips and comments on the work that is done here.  I truly value the feedback from all of you and I am grateful that you appreciate reading this as much as much as I enjoy writing it.  I'll make the promise to keep writing as long as all of you keep reading.

I reviewed the Gold Connecticut offering from this company a month or two ago and was pleasantly surprised with the cigar.  Much like my feeling about Connecticut, it is usually too mild, my feelings about Corojo are similar.  Corojo blends have a tendency to be bitter and touch heavy on flavors that I would consider to be of dirty earth.  There is just something about this leaf that has never hit me right.  Having said that, I approach with an open mind because the Martin's opened my eyes to a different Connecticut world with one cigar.

This cigar presents in a somewhat mundane fashion.  The wrapper has some prominent veining and a heavy leathery appearance that seems too dry to me.  The band work is again understated, yet elegant, I like what they do here.  Some companies spend a great deal of time making the band so intricate I think they lose sight of the cigar, that is not happening here.  A quick examination reveals no areas of concern and I believe that the cigar will perform well from a draw and combustion standpoint.  The pre light aroma is herbal with some hints of light earth.  The pre light draw shows some pepper and spice.

The cigar opens with a profile that is not particularly complex or deep.  There are some light earthy flavors in the front of the offering, but there are some light bitter notes here that detract from the opening moments.  At the back of the palate the profile is all cedar and some spice that is smacking of clove.  I am a bit disappointed about this cigar at this point as I look for more complexity and depth in my smokes.  The draw is a little too tight for me, but I don't believe that it will become problematic.  The burn is a touch lopsided, but no touch ups are required.

The first half of the cigar falls short for me.  The profile struggles for some identity.  There are still some nice earthy tones here, but there are some sour herbal notes as well that are not pleasing.  At the back of the palate there are still some very powerful cedar notes but they alone can't carry the cigar.  I am still looking for complexity that isn't coming to fruition.  The draw opens up nicely at this point providing a nice, easy smoking experience.  The burn has evened out and I am relieved that no touch ups will be required.

The final half of the cigar starts to warm up a little.  The main profile still have some nice earthy flavors, but there is a nice leathery quality that is coming through.  I am also detecting an underlay that I would qualify as being bready.  This is now showing some more complexity, but it is still not quite there and the flavors are still a bit too thin for me.  At the back of the palate the cedar flavors soldier on, but nothing else develops leaving me wanting.  The draw is still strong to this point and the burn was solid to the finish.

The finish of the cigar was middling, but shows some nice cedar flavors.

Appearance- 88 some dryness to the appearance detracts from the visual impact
Taste- 86 some nice moments in the last half, but I thought it was lacking
Construction- 89 nicely done, but some draw tightness early on hurt the score
Strength- 87 a nice medium
Overall- 85.75 slightly above average, I would suggest to a Corojo enthusiast that this might be the cigar for you

No comments:

Post a Comment