Thursday, September 8, 2011

Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial Limited Edition (6x52)

I have heard much ballyhoo about this smoke over the last month or so and I had to find the right time to part with $15 and the two hours I knew I would need to smoke it properly.  I am not a fan of the regular Jaime blend so I was skeptical about this LE version.  Often times LE only equates to $5-$10 more on the price tag than any real cigar equity.  I have smoked many, many disappointing LE versions over time, so when my friends start murmuring about one I always feel like I need to be the judge for myself.

The cigar is very nice to look at with an oily wrapper that has very few veins and a very nice double band presentation.  The cigar seems too firm to me, but I can't find any plugs or other issues.  The pre light aroma is of cocoa and spice.  The pre light draw shows some nice flavors of pepper and chocolate.

This cigar opens with a profile that is power, power, power.  The core flavors show deep notes of red pepper and light cocoa, this is an interesting flavor interplay but I think it could be more complex.  At the back of the palate there are more red pepper notes, but they are accompanied by a nice full tobacco flavor that is a touch overwrought for my tastes.  The draw is tight, but not so much that it causes any smoking issues.  The burn is excellent and produces a crisp, white ash.

The first half of the cigar mellows out nicely.  The profile transitions into a more complex presentation of chocolate and spice with a toasty undertone that ties it all together.  At the back of the palate the full tobacco flavor is firmly in control, but now is more subdued and showing as a very nice complement to the core profile.  The draw remains too tight for my liking, but it is not causing any issues.  The burn continues to be superior.

The final half of this cigar maintains nice complexity, but I am starting to believe that the cigar is too one dimensional in that it shows the same variations of flavor over and over again.  The core profile continues to show chocolate and spice flavors, but there is no development and the flavors stagnate.  At the back of the palate the tobacco flavors continue on, but I am found wanting more here.  This is by no means a terrible experience, but I expected more from this.  The draw stays firm throughout, and the burn is excellent.

The finish is middling and shows pepper and tobacco flavors.

Appearance- 93 a very nice cigar
Taste- 87 just not what I expected here, but the flavors were acceptable
Construction- 89 the draw was too tight, but the burn was excellent
Strength- 88 a nice full presentation
Overall- 88.75 an above average smoke, but for $15 I needed way more here

No comments:

Post a Comment