Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Davidoff Maduro T (6x48)

So I bought two of these at the ultra super premium price of $25 per and let them simmer in the humi for a couple of weeks before I got around to smoking them.  I will start this off by saying that I have seldom smoked any cigar that is worth $25, but I am always willing to part with some hard earned green to see if there is one out there that will be truly worth the asking price.  Very few come immediately to mind.  The Fuente Ashton ESG at $30, the Pepin Garcia LE from 2010 at $20 and some assorted Cubans that I have bought over the years.

The excitement about these cigars was the introduction of the maduro wrapper, Davidoff has always been known for mild premiums and these babies were supposed to have stepped it up a notch.  I remove cello and begin the ritual.  The wrapper is dark and bold looking with some veining, but nothing that is concerning to me at this point.  The construction seems tight, but there is enough give so I think it will perform well from a burn and draw perspective.  The pre light aroma is pungent and bordering on foul with a sour milk like odor on the nose.  The pre light draw is horrific as acidic notes sear the lips and tongue and burn the throat.

The cigar opens with a profile that can only be described as something akin to licking a 9 volt battery several times.  The twang in the profile can't be isolated, but 9 volt is as close as I can come.  At the back of the palate there are some thoughts of wood and maduro sweetness, but I am grimacing whilst trying to find redeeming character.  The draw is fluid enough and the burn is a touch lopsided in the early moments.

The first half of the cigar shows little improvement.  The profile eases somewhat, but the flavors are not complex or deep.  There are some hints of spice and sugar cane, but they are cloaked by the continuing acidic notes that assail the front of the palate.  At the back of the palate there are still some fleeting wood and sweet notes, but the front of the palate is getting raked over the coals so discerning anything this deep in the smoke is nearly futile.  The draw stays acceptable, but the burn is going to require some touch ups.

The final half of the smoke is barely smokable.  The profile is a horrific blend of acid and burning detritus, and I am considering chucking the whole shooting match at this point.  At the back of the palate there are still some wood notes, but the experience is now a lost cause.  The draw is still fine, but the burn requires several touch ups down the stretch.

Sadly, both cigars I smoked showed the same attributes.  Save your shekels and buy something smokable, like a Garcia y Vega....I kid of course

Appearance- 87 a nice looking smoke, but nothing too special
Taste- 70 one of the worst I have ever...yes, ever smoked!
Construction- 83 some burn issues, but the draw was acceptable
Strength- 85 not sure so I will cause it average
Overall- 79.75 very, very poor and I am flummoxed as to why I thought it would be something other than bad

No comments:

Post a Comment