Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Casa Fernandez Arsenio (5.5x52)

This is another cigar that has been hiding in my humidor for quite some time. I dug it out last night and decided to give it a go. As always, full disclosure is the name of my game and I have to point out that Casa Fernandez stuff is very hit or miss for me. I liked the Aganorsa Leaf, but I have found many of their other offerings to be very pedestrian. Having said that, I always let each cigar stand on it's own for my evaluations.

This cigar presents well, the wrapper is rich looking and the band work is interesting. It seems a touch dry to me, and there are some prominent veins. A quick roll through the fingers reveals some tension, but I don't think it will cause any issues while smoking. The pre light aroma is full of dark wood notes. The pre light draw has some bitter tobacco notes, but a nice earthy undertone.

The smoke opens with a profile that is decidedly bready, with maybe a touch of cream in the background. This is a unique flavor complexion and I am impressed with the originality of the smoke early on. At the back of the palate there are some very nice notes of earth and wood that are offsetting the sweetness of the front of the profile very well. The draw is a little tighter than I normally prefer, but it is not causing me any issues to this point. The burn is a touch off kilter, but not necessarily showing any signs for concern.

The first half of the smoke shows some interesting developments. The profile shifts into a more deep presentation of bread and oatmeal notes, but is not particularly complex and I would like to see some more intermediate flavors to serve as a backdrop for the front of the profile. At the back of the palate there continues to be a nice note of earth and wood, with some spice coming in as well. The draw continues to be a touch too firm for me, but it is not causing any heat in the smoke. The burn has evened out nicely and I anticipate no further issues.

The final half of the cigar transitions even further. The profile shifts into a more straightforward showing of tobacco and spice characteristics and I am somewhat disappointed by the disappearance of the earlier flavors. At the back of the palate there continue to be some notes of earth, wood and spice. The draw opens perceptibly in the final moments and the cigar delivers some more intense flavor in the final salvo. The burn stayed solid for the entire last half of the smoke.

The finish was long and lingered with nice tastes of wood and spice.

Overall this was a nice smoke. I would have liked more depth and complexity, but the cigar showed some very unique flavor ideas in the first half.

Appearance- 89 a nice looking presentation
Taste- 90 some great early ideas, but in the end some fizzle instead of sizzle
Construction- 88 some tightness in the draw and early burn issues
Strength- 85 a very unremarkable medium
Overall- 88.25 an above average, and enjoyable smoking experience

No comments:

Post a Comment