Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Litto Gomez Diez Americano (5.75x46)

I had always wanted to smoke one of these, but I had never gotten around to it for some reason, life sometimes gets in the way or, more aptly, Pepin products get in the way. Recently I hosted a little BBQ/Poker night at my crib and as always the BOTL's come through. There is always some horsetrading going on and one of my Brothers gave me this little smoke. I, of course, rethought my lineup forthwith and gave this a smoke.

The cigar is in one of my favorite sizes, there is something about a Corona Gorda that just seems right, like holding your favorite golf club when it just seems like the right stick for the shot. This cigar had a beautiful medium brown wrapper with a slightly reddish hue and very little veining of any note. A quick roll through the fingertips reveals no issues and I eagerly continue my ritual. The pre light aroma is heady with some spice and leather tones that are interesting. The pre light draw is full of light wood flavors.

The cigar opens with a profile that is unexpected from an LFD offering. There are subtle notes of leather and wood over a base of light clove like spice. LFD's are usually a bully up front and sound the alarm bells of the palate, this cigar quietly lulls the palate into believing that this mild presentation will continue. My palate is of course a fool, as I later find out. At the back of the palate there is an enticingly mellow presentation of light tobacco and a sweetness that has a dusty texture. The draw is a bit tight for me, but it is not causing any smoking issues. The burn is sharp and produces a nice, solid medium gray ash.

The first half of the cigar continues to carry me through the opening rounds like the champion fighter that wants to get some work in. The profile maintains an excellent array of leather and some intensifying wood flavors. The underlay of spice has mellowed and presents well throughout the first half of the smoke. At the back of the palate the tobacco notes strengthen and become a more robust tobacco flavor. The draw continues to perform in an average fashion for me. The burn stays strong through the first half.

The second half of the cigar becomes a crescendo of bold flavors. Much like the aforementioned champion fighter, this smoke is coming on in the late rounds trying to impress the judges for some late scoring with a flurry of intensity. Like many opponents at this point in a fight I only have a punchers chance, or in this case a smokers chance. The core profile begins to hammer away at the palate with some intense notes of pepper and spice, there are still some undertones of wood here as well. At the back of the palate the tobacco flavors are nearly too intense and verge on being chary in character. The draw continues to be somewhat tight for me, but it performs acceptably. The burn was excellent throughout.

The finish was intense and showed leather, wood and pepper notes for many minutes after the last draw. This cigar is quite the experience!

Appearance- 91 a nice looking cigar that has an unassuming charm
Taste- 94 complexity and depth with balance aplenty
Construction- 87 some points off for the tight draw
Strength- 92 a very subtle beginning and an in your face ending
Overall- 90.75 an excellent smoke that was hurt by draw problems, but I would recommend it

No comments:

Post a Comment