Saturday, August 21, 2010

Perdomo La Tradition Cabinet Series Reserve Maduro Robusto (5x54)

This has been a standby in my smoking lineup for several years, unfortunately it has somewhat gone the way of the Dodo as they are not made with regularity anymore. I have smoked boxes and boxes of all sizes of these Red Labels and have always found them to be particularly enjoyable smokes. This particular one has been in my humi for several years and was howling out to be smoked.

The cigar has aged well and shows some light plume and crystallization of the oils. The wrapper is not as dark as I recall it being when I laid it to rest several years ago, but there is still the look of power here. An inspection reveals a void about an inch from the head and I am concerned about the possibility of burn issues. The pre light aroma is of rich tobacco and semi sweet chocolate. The pre light draw hints of dark wood and coffee flavors.

My anticipation level being nearly at the top, I cut and light. The cigar opens with a rich profile of dark tobacco notes and a very full coffee flavor also comes through. At the back of the palate there are some notes of dark wood and very satisfying earthy flavors. The draw is a bit tight at this point and I can feel some heat starting to build. The burn is also slightly askew, but I do not touch up.

The first half of the cigar continues to impress me. The profile is rich and flavorful, showing blasts of tobacco with a coffee overlay, there are also some excellent notes of chocolate coming through here as well. At the back of the palate the woody notes have taken on a hickory note and the earthy notes have gained a salty quality that I find interesting. The draw continues to tighten as I approach the void I detected earlier and I wonder if there is also a plug behind the void somewhere. The burn has straightened, but as I approach the halfway point it begins to collapse again.

The final half of the cigar begins to burn way to hot, and the draw has deteriorated into a mess. The profile takes on the scorched and chary qualities that are familiar to all of us that have smoked cigars with draw issues. I relight a couple of times, but it is for naught, and I am forced to put this cigar down with about a third of it remaining. It is truly a shame.

The finish was middling and charred.

Appearance- 94 a very appealing smoke, made more so by crystals and plume
Taste- 80 below average due to the issues with construction, very unfortunate because the opening moments were well above average
Construction- 75 about as bad as it could get in the second half
Strength- 87 a very nice full
Overall- 81.75 this was a real downer for me, I will say that I do love this smoke, do not let this review deter you

No comments:

Post a Comment